From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I used a stacked sequence today. So sue me.

Yes, any sequence local can spoil a perfectly good sequence. 🙂

(In 17 years of LabVIEW programming, I've only found a single instance where a stacked sequence was useful, and it did not involve any locals.)

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(5,297 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

Smiley Tongue

stacked sequence.PNG

Looks similar to some code i inherited. I made a small help-vi that extracts the Channel clusters and build them into an array, that way it's easy to look or index individual ones. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(5,285 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

(In 17 years of LabVIEW programming, I've only found a single instance where a stacked sequence was useful, and it did not involve any locals.)

I'm trying to remember the last time I used a stacked sequence before this instance. It was in my noob days (>10 yrs ago). When I was whipping this up the stacked sequence seemed like a useful choice. After I wrote it I felt "dirty". Smiley Wink 

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 13 of 18
(5,276 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I've found quite a few instances of stacked sequences which were useful.  Mind you, they were all in order to show people why you shouldn't use them so yeah, they're not a common visitor to my block diagrams.

Message 14 of 18
(5,253 Views)

LOL!!

Message 15 of 18
(5,203 Views)

WHY???

If not a dirty patch to add some channels where only one was designed 😉

EDIT: 

so a dirty patch to get 3 Ch on a dirty patch to get 2Ch ? 😉    and never mind, for the cluster we have a type def everywhere ... (I hope!)  

WHY.png or WHY2.png

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 16 of 18
(5,197 Views)

This stacked sequence was used mostly for real estate concerns on my block diagram. However, the functionality has expanded to where not only will the stacked sequence go away but the all of the code it contains will go into a sub-vi. "Problem" solved.

Sorry for causing a disturbance in the Force. Smiley Sad

But I would do it again. Smiley Happy

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(5,184 Views)

LOL!!   The Force needs to be disturbed...  otherwise it becomes static (and useless)

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(5,163 Views)