BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm old

Hey, 59.5, careful, I'm 59.75!  Unfortunately, most of my money in my retirement accounts has shrunken in the current economy, so it will be a while...

As to starting a career in this economy, since you are on a technical forum I am reasonably safe "assuming" that your degree is in engineering. While there are localized droughts in engineering jobs, and undoubtedly there are also engineering fields that are more or less in demand, it is still a field in which one can reasonably hope to find employment. That being said, I've been a contractor/consultant for the last 14 years, where there generally is a reasonably steady demand for my services, largely because they only have to pay me for the duration of a project (or shorter!) And it has in most cases required me to travel, which is starting to grow old (as am I!).

Be flexible, try and stay current in your field, either find something that is going to be around and specialize or become the best generalist there is. I picked buggy whips to specialize in ..., they will make a comeback when the price of oil eclipses the advances in hybrid cars!! Mark my words!!!

And as my favorite advertisement character in the US says "Stay thirsty my friend". It is directly applicable to the product he is selling (beer) but is also a good slogan for knowledge as well.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 77
(8,092 Views)

@tbob wrote:

Pretty soon we will be seeing questions like this:

I am trying to realize time travel.  How can I do this with Labview?

I've already will have done this.

Message 32 of 77
(8,073 Views)

I've used Saverio's invention to visit from the future, and it works!

Nothing happened on December 21, 2012.  Except microsoft going bancrupt..  Maybe that's what the Mayans predicted.

tbob lives and he's now over 100 years old.  He retired (in Canada) 2 years ago.

Putnam will retire in 2055.  He does not have a single grey hair (probably due to genetic manipulations).

Back to the yatch...

Message 33 of 77
(8,025 Views)

As to not having any grey hair, see my post on page 2 of this thread. Of course, if I've had to work another 45 years I may have pulled out all my hair from answering "newbie questions", "How is the time redactor function supposed to effect the execution order of a global variable?" Talk about race conditions!!! It runs in the User thread (where it directly effects the user, not the interface), and Ben (actually his Avatar, uploaded to his new model railroad controller) will chime in with "using the new meta-physical state machine architecture."

Smiley Wink

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 34 of 77
(7,989 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

tbob lives and he's now over 100 years old. 

Eehhh, what's that you say sonny???  Can you type in font size 150?  My eyes are going bad in my old age.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 77
(7,980 Views)

I must be getting old, too.

I seem to not be able to mind-read posts by newbies or misinterpret what they are asking.. 😞

Maybe the cafeine was what kept me going and now..  being void of cafeine, I'm rather useless..  😞

signs of aging, I guess...

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 77
(7,947 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

23...and 51 weeks.

Looking at the date, I guess we're due a Happy Birthday to for(imstuck)!

Many happy returns!

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 77
(7,927 Views)

I'm on a low fat, low salt, low sugar, low caffeine diet. Oatmeal with dried fruit for breakfast and flavored, compressed Styrofoam (they have the nerve to call them rice CAKES) with one diet coke for a snack. Meanwhile almost every night I sit in the hot tub with wifey and watch her eat cheesecake and feed the crust to our puppies.

As far as misunderstanding. Very few people are lucky enough to be able to write down clearly what they are thinking about. Even Darrin has been a bit obtuse occasionally. And I've said this before. It's even harder when you're not even sure what the question is.

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 77
(7,926 Views)

which line can you read

which line can you read

which line can you read

which line can you read

which line can you read

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 77
(7,923 Views)

Which part of "I'm old" don't you get. Are you that tolerant towards newbies too?

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 77
(7,914 Views)