BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm old

I am 28 but i thought i will just encourage u experienced  in telling you that the other side is greener ALWAYS!!!.

I have been working and noting that your salary is directly proportioanl to your grey hairs. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 77
(8,229 Views)

@muks wrote:

I am 28 but i thought i will just encourage u experienced  in telling you that the other side is greener ALWAYS!!!.

I have been working and noting that your salary is directly proportioanl to your grey hairs. Smiley Very Happy

I am 52. The grey hair matches but the salary..   Smiley Very Happy

The last job change was in 2003 (twice). Not very easy to find a new employer and for many companies you're too old.

Luckily there are also employers that want to have experience (with grey hair). And that is what we can bring in.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 77
(8,222 Views)

....what the grey hairSmiley Very Happy

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 77
(8,219 Views)

@Ben wrote:

In the event I ever do get laid off, I'll be looking for some of you to act as a reference.

Ben

You can use me as reference Ben.

You can point to me and say how much better you are then me..... Smiley Very Happy

Shane.

Message 14 of 77
(8,197 Views)

@Ray Farmer wrote:

....what the grey hairSmiley Very Happy

I was down at NI Headquarters for a RT summit about 7 years ago. While there I had a self-asigned mision to meet Jeff K so I I sat down in the lobby of the main building.

Not a grey hair anywhere!

So I left with the impresion that aside from the grey-hairs we see at NI Week, everyone else is just a kid. Smiley Surprised

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 77
(8,186 Views)

They say you're only as old as you feel. 

I don't consider myself to be old at all.  But at almost 40, I'm suddenly the oldest guy in the office. 

Fortunately I'm still the coolest guy in the office.  Although I'm not sure I'll be keeping my long hair when my forehead starts at the back of my neck.  Hopefully I've got a few more years before that.

It's an important point though that the "older guys" in given workplace find a way to stay valid.  As salaries increase over time, it can be a little nerve wracking to think there's a growing list of young eagers willing to do your job for less than half of what you're doing it for.  Staying on top new technology while maintaining your expertise in legacy systems can be challenging for sure.   But I think as long as the work is interesting and senility hasn't taken over, the extra challenge can be taken in stride. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 77
(8,180 Views)

Well finding out that I'm not the oldest on the forum is nice, I'll be 60 in December. I guess we should swap avatars, trilobites came before dinosaurs!

I have had a couple of instances where I have felt that I wasn't hired for a "permanent" job (whatever that is in this economy!) due to my "seniority". On the other hand I have been doing consulting/contract work since '96 and have definitely gotten a lot of those gigs (all?) due to experience, etc. In fact, as the OP said, having a CLD, close to 18 years of documented LabVIEW experience, FCC license, etc. don't hurt. Of course, "they" aren't expecting to keep me for long, don't have to worry about any of the health benefits, vacation time, retirement parts. And the problem is going to get worse here in the US with the talks about raising the age to collect our social security benefits, meaning the expectation that people will have to work longer. It becomes a real problem if companies are letting those very same "senior" workers go or aren't hiring those. I will say that the living out of a suitcase, being "on the road" for the various projects has grown old as have I.

As to the observation at NI HQ, Austin is generally a youthful town, and then there is "Just for Men" for those guys that are distressed by the look of experience (and age) that greying provides.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 77
(8,162 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

Austin is generally a youthful town, and then there is "Just for Men" for those guys that are distressed by the look of experience (and age) that greying provides.

I must have accidentally overdosed on that "touch of gray" stuff. 😄

(You mean I wasn't supposed to drink that entire bottle? 🐵

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 77
(8,158 Views)

I thought a trilobite was what comes after gigabite.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 77
(8,141 Views)

@oyester wrote:

I thought a trilobite was what comes after gigabite.

What the hell's a giga[byte]!?!?

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 77
(8,133 Views)