From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a posted message?

Anybody know how I can delete a message that I have posted or a reply that I have posted?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(9,639 Views)

You can't do it yourself but you can ask the moderator to do it for you.

"Options" button on the right of the message >> last entry.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(9,633 Views)

You can use the "options...report to a moderator" menu entry to request actions, however, it is typically not a good idea to simply delete posts or threads, because it would sigificantly reduce the value of the forum if things of the past get changed or deleted randomly.

Typically only posts directly violating forum gudelines should be deleted (e.g. spam). You can request edits of your older posts e.g. if it has a spelling error that distorts what you actually meant, for example.

Message 3 of 9
(9,631 Views)

Use the Options drop down on the post and report to moderator.  Tell them to delete the post.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(9,628 Views)

Thanks guys. i just wanted to delete one of my replies as my reply was wrong.

Message 5 of 9
(9,626 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

You can use the "options...report to a moderator" menu entry to request actions, however, it is typically not a good idea to simply delete posts or threads, because it would sigificantly reduce the value of the forum if things of the past get changed or deleted randomly.

Typically only posts directly violating forum gudelines should be deleted (e.g. spam). You can request edits of your older posts e.g. if it has a spelling error that distorts what you actually meant, for example.

Are you suggesting that deleting a post is a form of Orwellion revisionism? Smiley Surprised

Historic Revisionism ("if you can't change the past change history" -PaulG) is one of the greatest of evils. But on a software blog? I would prefer a wrong answer deleted rather than be misinformed and misguided. Maybe a fair compromise: we can be self-policing and edit our own "wrong" posts or answers. ?

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(9,591 Views)

IIRC you can only edit posts within a few minutes of posting because of the way the forum backs up data. 

But yeah, I'd love to be able to edit posts more than 5 minutes old.

Message 7 of 9
(9,578 Views)

@SnowMule wrote:

IIRC you can only edit posts within a few minutes of posting because of the way the forum backs up data. 

But yeah, I'd love to be able to edit posts more than 5 minutes old.

I didn't know that. That's a problem. We should be able to edit.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(9,576 Views)

@RedAG wrote:

Thanks guys. i just wanted to delete one of my replies as my reply was wrong.

Reply the post was wrong and for what reason it was wrong!  Mistakes are valuable! They can help someone else that held the same preconception change.  Im sure I learned more from my mistakes than yours but I will go check out your latest posts.  (I might learn something!)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 9 of 9
(9,557 Views)