BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many LabVIEW panels are in this picture?

Once I have my 3 screens setup on a single desk I'll have to take a photo. 

Wait a minute... There are 4 screens at my desk right now!!!  Where's the bloody camera when you need one??

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 43
(8,306 Views)

And on the one year aniversary I see this in the news. I am soooo glad that the shuttles are finally done. I mean come on.. wings on a spaceship? That's like wheels on a boat. What percentage of the mission costs were directly related to being able to land on a runway? Big heavy wings, absolutely right conditions for landing, etc. Parachutes, while not sexy, are cheap, reliable and effective. Landing is important but it is not the primary purpose of space flight.

I wonder if you could launch a rocket into space from a high altitude baloon. Now that would really take the sexy out of a launch. T minus four, three, two, one. We have liftoff! And the balloon goes floating away in silence..

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 12 of 43
(8,044 Views)

Rockets can be launched into space from balloons and planes.

Wheels on a boat

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 43
(8,035 Views)

I have no problem with wings on a rocket. It works very well, in fact.

Or how about the use of a parafoil? That's close to a parachute.

One of the early X-prize contenders was proposing launching from a balloon. Once you're past the denser part of the atmosphere, rockets become much more efficient.

Just some Saturday morning random thoughts.

Rob

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 43
(8,028 Views)

@Steve Chandler wrote:

Landing is important but it is not the primary purpose of space flight.

Yes but there's a limited supply of astronauts, and keeping them alive is pretty important. Unless we go all Ender's Game style (minus the mass xenocide of course).

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 43
(8,003 Views)
That's what I was getting at with the part about parachutes being reliable. The Soyuz can land in a hundreds of miles radius. If the shuttle is off by a hundred yards it makes for a "very bad day". Simple systems are safer. Not only was the shuttle extremely complex (so it looks cool landing) but they were getting very old. I think every Soyuz mission is using brand new equipment.

It is not just about being cheaper while getting more missions but it is also about safety. Go SpaceX!
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 43
(7,985 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Yesterday, SpaceX became the first commercial company in history to re-enter a spacecraft from low-Earth orbit.

And today they achieved another milestone. Go SpaceX!

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 17 of 43
(7,890 Views)

Odd that the CNN story didn't indicate the James Doohan also hitched a ride, along with over 300 others.

Message 18 of 43
(7,860 Views)

Go SpaceX, go!

And they are still hiring:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Job-Openings/SpaceX-seeking-full-time-LabVIEW-programmer-to-join-Tex...

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 43
(7,849 Views)

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan wrote:

Go SpaceX, go!

Due to my current employer, I have to say "Boo, SpaceX, Boo!".  My soon to be employer doesn't really care.  So in a few weeks I'll be with you guys in the cheering.  It's just really neat what they have been able to do so far.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 43
(7,841 Views)