BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlight Execution = LabVIEW ART

I was reading an old post about creating variable highlight execution rates and started playing around with highlight execution.  I was also inspired by the cartoons and other stuff in the breakpoint forums. 

It turns out that if you make your drawings in your diagrams very long and turn on highlight execution you can make some very hilarious stuff.  It's very easy to make multiple colors dependent on variable types and scenarios that resemble falling dominos as the highlight execution slowly works its way through. 

So in the interest of LabVIEW ART I wanted to see if anyone else noticed this fun little LabVIEW exploit.  For example I have made bouncing words of various colors and various other geometric shapes, large blinking crosses, racing nodes etc.

Regards,

-SS

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(7,898 Views)

One of my original mentors (JPD) posted this on LAVA.

The code attached to message #29 of this thread may also interest you. Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 15
(7,876 Views)

Ben,

I can see hidden terminals on the horse diagram but I'll try to figure it out later today 🙂  The other one with the icon I also think is very cool.

I was talking about straight highlight execution...No tricks just watching the idiot dots go through your diagram. In my case a purposefully very poorly drawn one;  -SS

Message 3 of 15
(7,867 Views)

OK this one is better 🙂

See attached, you need to turn on highlight execution...standard disclaimer...Warning may hang your LabVIEW session or PC!  -SS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(7,849 Views)

Very Interesting.Smiley Happy

It does hang my LabVIEW session (for a while) when I try to turn off the highlight execution while running.  Which leads to the question, WHY?

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 07-02-2008 12:32 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(7,842 Views)

It does hang my LabVIEW session (for a while) when I try to turn off the highlight execution while running.  Which leads to the question, WHY?

mine too
SteveA
CLD

-------------------------------------
FPGA/RT/PDA/TP/DSC
-------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(7,835 Views)

Ravens Fan wrote:

Very Interesting.Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 07-02-2008 12:32 PM

From what I can tell, LabVIEW will try to wait until all data dots reach their destinations.  Open the attached and highlight execution.  Turn it off before the dot reaches the wall.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(7,811 Views)

JeffOverton wrote:

From what I can tell, LabVIEW will try to wait until all data dots reach their destinations.  Open the attached and highlight execution.  Turn it off before the dot reaches the wall.

There is something logical about that.  Going back to the original VI, it will continue to execute highlight on the first highlight button press to undo it, just like yours.  But it is on the 4th, 5th, or 7th, or more button press to try to undo the highlight execution that it seems to go from ignoring you to telling you it is ignoring you by saying "(not responding)".Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(7,807 Views)

Un-responsive GUI's while in execution highlighting appeared to enter the game about the same time as the retain values in wires (LV 8.0. ?) .

I thought it was a bug but I could never convince anyone that exe-highlighting was not supposed to lock the GUI (at least it didn't in LV 7.1)

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(7,804 Views)

Ben,

Wow now that code deserves an Oscar 🙂  Weird thing is I tried to copy and paste to create two horses jumping in frames but the second one doesn’t move...lazy horse.

What do I need to change to make the second horse sequence like the first? I mean how does the property node know to use the second sequence?

-SS

Message Edited by ShotSimon on 07-02-2008 04:48 PM

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(7,786 Views)