BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grumpy Old Men

Too late to edit previous message...

I meant that kicking a soccer ball into the back of someone's head is not polite...not that Ray suggesting I might do such a thing was not polite.  I might indeed do such a thing, if properly provoked.

But it wouldn't be very polite of me if I did.

Message Edited by DianeS on 03-18-2010 11:08 PM
0 Kudos
Message 81 of 155
(5,996 Views)
you're too polite 😉
0 Kudos
Message 82 of 155
(5,982 Views)

Ray.R wrote:
you're too polite 😉

Coming from a Canadian, that must be a real insult. 😉

I 'm just trying to get Diane "rowled-up" (spelling) for her soccer next game..  😉
0 Kudos
Message 84 of 155
(5,924 Views)

Actually, Ray, I find that NOT getting "rowled up" results in far fewer injuries to the old carcass.

That's one of the reasons I quit goalkeeping...after breaking my neck (making a really spectacular save, I will say), I sort of lost that fearlessness that's required in a good 'keeper.  I wasn't able to train myself back into it after recovering from the surgery -- I tried -- so I left the nets and went out onto the field. 

I find that being a nice, polite player results in fewer broken bones, torn ligaments, etc.  Works for me!  I expect I'd hurt even less if I were to quit playing Open and transition to the old folks' league, where I belong.  Smiley Wink

Message Edited by DianeS on 03-21-2010 01:15 PM
0 Kudos
Message 85 of 155
(5,920 Views)

Outch!  Broken neck??  And you're still playing?  Wow...  You're courageous.

I'd be chicken***t after something like that.  

My only sports mishap was downhill skiing, when trying to show-off.  I slowed down after that..  But did try snowboarding since.

Hope your okay.  And you can't be that old..

0 Kudos
Message 86 of 155
(5,898 Views)

Yeah...it wasn't a bad break, in that I was never in danger of being paralyzed or anything like that, but I did have to have a pair of discs removed and that section of my neck fused.  However, I believe I can safely say that the part of my neck which has the titanium rod bolted to it is never going to break again!

And I AM chicken***t.  That's why I wasn't able to remain a goalkeeper.  Smiley Wink

Skiing accidents can be really messy!  I hope that you, too, made a full recovery.  Was it your knee?  That's not a fun surgery...or a fun recovery.  Well, meniscus isn't so bad, but ACL repairs suck. 

I'm old enough that some of my opponents are half my age.  Chasing them around gets tiring after awhile.

Message 87 of 155
(5,873 Views)

You could be the next bionic woman 😉

It was a little injury by comparison.  Ligaments in the wrist and thumb.  All healed up.  🙂

You must set off every metal detector at airports..  😉

0 Kudos
Message 88 of 155
(5,844 Views)

Ray.R wrote:

You could be the next bionic woman 😉

It was a little injury by comparison.  Ligaments in the wrist and thumb.  All healed up.  🙂

You must set off every metal detector at airports..  😉

If you ever need some programming done to integrate bionic/prosthetic parts, you know where to come.... plenty of grumpy old men on the forums here to help you out  Smiley Very Happy

Cory K
Message 89 of 155
(5,816 Views)

DianeS wrote:

Yeah...it wasn't a bad break, in that I was never in danger of being paralyzed or anything like that, but I did have to have a pair of discs removed and that section of my neck fused.  However, I believe I can safely say that the part of my neck which has the titanium rod bolted to it is never going to break again!

I'm old enough that some of my opponents are half my age.  Chasing them around gets tiring after awhile.

Hmmmmm. Perhaps you need to move from "Grumpy old man Smiley Mad" to "Stiff-necked aging athlete"  Smiley Very Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 90 of 155
(5,806 Views)