BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny threads

@thoult wrote:

This reminds me of what I think was a BOFH skit originally, but ended up being one of those 'too stupid to own a computer' chain emails about someone ringing tech support to complain about their PC not working in the middle of a power cut.

In his defense, many people expect any analog input to work like a DMM.  When I turn my Fluke on and the leads don't touch any thing it reads 0V why doesn't AI0?  

I've had several heated arguments where I was told the software was broken because when I disconnect the BNC from the NI hardware it would do unexpected things.  In this case it was reading several AI channels one after another in a single task so it would hold the previous signals value with nothing to pull it up or down.  They didn't like that.  I kept asking why they would even look at a signal that was disconnected.  It's not like it can tell you anything about if a part is good or bad.

0 Kudos
Message 451 of 537
(10,906 Views)

I take your point...but then also respectfully point out that NI strongly prefer to sell sbRIOs to customers who have a bit more nous than the average user. It's not quite a USB 6008! 🙂

Maybe he inherited it. Hell, I stumbled across an unused SCXI system when I was first starting out.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 452 of 537
(10,878 Views)

Thanks Hooovahh, this nearly made me snort my beer through my nose:

Okay a couple things.  You should never wire a false to a while loop, unless you are on an embedded device, like an FPGA.  If you do this your code will never stop running.  Sure you can stop it with an abort, but you can also stop your car by crashing it into a tree.  If the goal is to stop then this works.  But most people value their cars, and you should value your data.  Create a cleanup routine that gets called on quit.

Original thread

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 453 of 537
(10,722 Views)

I smell a business opportunity

thread

0 Kudos
Message 454 of 537
(10,647 Views)

@MarkCG wrote:

thread

First thing that came to my mind was the toilet-testing videos on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkOaQNiKgoo

0 Kudos
Message 455 of 537
(10,635 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 456 of 537
(10,629 Views)

@SnowMule wrote:

@MarkCG wrote:

thread

First thing that came to my mind was the toilet-testing videos on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkOaQNiKgoo

First I wondered how you go to watching youtube videos of toilets flushing.  Then I noticed that there were 200k views on the video.  Then I realized I had been watching videos of toilets for 15 minutes.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 457 of 537
(10,615 Views)

@Todd_Lesher wrote:

Could take it from the other end: http://www.ohgizmo.com/2009/01/12/toilet-seat-scale-tells-you-how-much-weight-is-lost-after-you-take...

Why not put weight transducers at the bottom of the toilet? Would give a whole new meaning to the term "load" cells. 

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 458 of 537
(10,584 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

@Todd_Lesher wrote:

Could take it from the other end: http://www.ohgizmo.com/2009/01/12/toilet-seat-scale-tells-you-how-much-weight-is-lost-after-you-take...

Why not put weight transducers at the bottom of the toilet? Would give a whole new meaning to the term "load" cells. 

It would not be accurate since the load displaces the same volume of water from the bowl.  You would have to estimate density and only after standing would you get a reading so rate would be difficult to derive.

Spoiler
Theoretically if the worker sat still a real-time differential might be possible to estimate the rate of change of the hydaulic displacement but, thats not related to mass either unless density is known

@ Matt  I'm just shaking my head wondering why you would state that publically.Smiley Surprised

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 459 of 537
(10,561 Views)

Tats on your arm do not protect your "puffed out chest" nearly as well as medals.  Just my opinion.

Dang! Copying a link, mobile, is impossible! See my tag medals

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 460 of 537
(10,520 Views)