From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny threads

@RavensFan wrote:
I hope they design trucks better than websites.  That was painful to scroll and very slow graphics.  Impossible on Firefox.  Only slightly better on IE.

Thse types of sites are getting fashionable everywhere. Designed for tablets and touch screens, unusable on a normal computer. 😞

Message 501 of 537
(11,253 Views)
and $DEITY help you if you're not on 10+mbit connection to the interwebs...
0 Kudos
Message 502 of 537
(11,236 Views)

@thoult wrote:

Newer three cylinder petrols, generally small units with turbos, are looking more and more appetising though. I'm still waiting for someone to make a decent hybrid which uses electric motors for drive and a petrol or diesel engine for electricity generation. Run the engine at its nominal operating conditions for economy/emissions, gain range over a pure electric car, no big battery lifecycle investment and ideal for current refuelling infrastructure.

Look at the Fisker Karma (they may no longer exist); or, the BMW i8.  BMW also has twin turbo 3 cylinder diesel.

I would not mind a Tesla.  I wish they still had the Roadsters.  The limited distance between charges would not be good for long trips, but within the city it would be okay.  I'll wait until battery life improves further.

0 Kudos
Message 503 of 537
(11,193 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

@thoult wrote:

Newer three cylinder petrols, generally small units with turbos, are looking more and more appetising though. I'm still waiting for someone to make a decent hybrid which uses electric motors for drive and a petrol or diesel engine for electricity generation. Run the engine at its nominal operating conditions for economy/emissions, gain range over a pure electric car, no big battery lifecycle investment and ideal for current refuelling infrastructure.

Look at the Fisker Karma (they may no longer exist); or, the BMW i8.  BMW also has twin turbo 3 cylinder diesel.

I would not mind a Tesla.  I wish they still had the Roadsters.  The limited distance between charges would not be good for long trips, but within the city it would be okay.  I'll wait until battery life improves further.

I just finished reading Elon Musk's biography and he hopes to have a 500 mile range car by end of 2016. Charging stations are going up everywhere. And if you wait the 20 minutes it takes to charge it's free. If you need to get going right away you can swap your battery pack for a charged one for about the same price as a fillup. I couldn't believe how much Musk is investing in his electric cars. He just might make it practical. I was impressed.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 504 of 537
(11,181 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

@Ray.R wrote:

@thoult wrote:

I just finished reading Elon Musk's biography and he hopes to have a 500 mile range car by end of 2016. Charging stations are going up everywhere. And if you wait the 20 minutes it takes to charge it's free. If you need to get going right away you can swap your battery pack for a charged one for about the same price as a fillup. I couldn't believe how much Musk is investing in his electric cars. He just might make it practical. I was impressed.

If anyone wants to go to California I KNOW that Tesla is hiring LabVIEW developers to help make all that happen!  (Recruiters are really banging on me about it)  PM me if you want a point of contact i'll pass it along

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 505 of 537
(11,168 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

If you need to get going right away you can swap your battery pack for a charged one for about the same price as a fillup. I couldn't believe how much Musk is investing in his electric cars. He just might make it practical. I was impressed.

There's far too many logistical questions for me to believe the battery swapping method is going to be viable.  Don't get me wrong electric all the way and it's the future.  But If I drive up with a 10 year old battery, and pay for the swap, am I going to get a new battery?  If I drive up with a brand new car, and swap batteries, will I get a 10 year old one?  What about varying capacities of batteries.  And various manufacturers or models, and mounting options, and dimensions?  Even if gas stations today had a battery swapping option for 12VDC batteries you'd have all of these same questions and issues.  The problem might not be as big of a deal because 12VDC batteries are semi-standard but there is still varying sizes, mounting options, dimensions, and age which might be incompatibile with vehicles.

Then there is the question of how do I swap out this several hundred (thousand?) pound battery pack?  A fork lift?  Custom equipment?  Does this only work for one manufacturer?  One model?  What happens if the pack is damaged in the swap?

Charging my car each day at home, and possibly at work (but probably not) will meet my needs for probably 360 days of the year with current battery technology.  I don't think the fill up technology is where we need to invest  right now, but range, performance, and weight is.

Still I can't wait to see what I'm driving in 10, 20, 30 years.

Message 506 of 537
(11,165 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

If anyone wants to go to California I KNOW that Tesla is hiring LabVIEW developers to help make all that happen!  (Recruiters are really banging on me about it)  PM me if you want a point of contact i'll pass it along

It would be a dream come true to work for Tesla or Space-X. But Musk is brutal on his engineers. I'm getting too old to work 60 hour weeks. 

PaulG.

0 Kudos
Message 507 of 537
(11,151 Views)

Think he wants some help? Smiley Very Happy

PaulG.

0 Kudos
Message 508 of 537
(11,027 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

Think he wants some help? Smiley Very Happy

I found his same question on the Reddit LabVIEW forum last night.  I gave the standard reply of "Does not work" is not enough information to help.

0 Kudos
Message 509 of 537
(10,995 Views)

65 bit LabVIEW. Leading into the future - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Downloading-LabView-2009/m-p/3179425#M919580