From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating Threads

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler 2It seems to concat to one

Hmmm

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 82
(11,448 Views)

Yes Jeff,

It does seem to concatenate to one.  Even if you have visible lines in between them..

Is this a normal behavior?

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 82
(11,442 Views)

@JackDunaway wrote:

.... I was trying to say in a diplomatic manner that the forum regulars should be able to spot a person who "can't even wire a string constant into a SubVI". Once this identification is made, a simple post just like Dennis' should be the last post on that thread by a forum regular until the original poster has shown some initiative or some source code. Continued "help" on the forum is only going to keep the new guy from going to the manual or tutorials which would help more than anything.

In the thread you pointed to, Dennis' simple post was done on Page 2.  The thread is now 7 pages long and the OP still doesn't have a clue.  I agree that we should refrain from being rude, and that we should also refrain from continuing to help when its obvious the OP does not want to do the tutorials.  Then we could abolish the Frustrating Threads thread.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 43 of 82
(11,420 Views)

@cory K wrote:

Have you tried TYPING IN ALL CAPS or using unnecessary bold font or even randomly changing font color like some of the obnoxious posters do when they get upset? Smiley Very Happy

Ahhh coloured text. That's what I've been doing wrong then.

Maybe they were just bored 🙂 Personally I don't see what randomly changing text colours helps with. You can emphasise stuff fine without it.

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 82
(11,375 Views)

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/hiding-front-panel-data/m-p/1014901#M452794

At the risk of getting vilified again, I'd like to point out that sometimes the frustration comes from the other side. I started a thread once and came as close to getting flamed as a person could get in a LabVIEW forum. I deeply regret getting so angry. The frustrating thing was one person actually tried to help me. The rest seemed to be more interested in dumping bile and aphorisms on me.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 82
(11,313 Views)

@oyester wrote:

At the risk of getting vilified again, I'd like to point out that sometimes the frustration comes from the other side. I started a thread once and came as close to getting flamed as a person could get in a LabVIEW forum. I deeply regret getting so angry. The frustrating thing was one person actually tried to help me. The rest seemed to be more interested in dumping bile and aphorisms on me.

I would like to take credit for the pain you experienced in that thread. It looks like I mis-read you and that helped set the wrong impresion for those that followed.

Please accept my long over due appology and thank you for sticking with us.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 46 of 82
(11,287 Views)

I may be wrong, but I feel I have been detecting a rising level of "curt" responses, some from us long timers. I try to recognize that many of the posts are from those that are probably understress (turning to the forum as a last resort, as opposed to some who appear to turn to it as the first response), from those for whom English is not a native language, about a topic (LabVIEW) that they are unfamiliar with. I work in a VERY culturally diverse environment at the moment, where English is the "common" language, but the first thing when we are meeting is make sure that we all understand what the issue we are working on is, which may take some interesting iterations as some language inconsistencies are overcome. And that is just the language barrier, haven't touched on cultural misunderstandings. I'm always having to point out that some of my native US born associate's cultural references, obvious to anyone watching US TV for the last 25 years, have no meaning to some who haven't had that "pleasure". Just a thought. That being said, there have been some posters that ...

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 47 of 82
(11,261 Views)

@oyester wrote:

You should see how badly you get flamed for trying to understand copy/paste if you mention Local Variables

Some words should not be said on the forum.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 82
(11,248 Views)

This one seems to have started off badly.

Message 49 of 82
(11,225 Views)

@Wayne.C wrote:

This one seems to have started off badly.

But it recovered quite well and the OP took it well.  Smiley Happy

Message 50 of 82
(11,164 Views)