BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating Threads

I have no choice. I'm currently on the road posting via phone, ant the afternoon looks pretty busy... 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 82
(12,144 Views)

@altenbach wrote:
I have no choice. I'm currently on the road posting via phone, ant the afternoon looks pretty busy... 🙂

Now that is dedication to helping.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 82
(12,134 Views)

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Text-File-to-Table/m-p/1183153#U1183153

OP:  I need help.  Please give me a VI.

Smerc:  Look at this.  Did you do a search before asking?

OP:  I did, but I didn't get it.  Can you give me help.

Smerc:  I did.  Look at what I already told you.

OP:  Give me a VI.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 82
(12,105 Views)

This guy should not be using Labview or computers or even a telephone.  I am surprised that he can even type.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 82
(11,989 Views)

@tbob wrote:

This guy should not be using Labview or computers or even a telephone.  I am surprised that he can even type.

Agreed, frustrating thread... but not half as frustrating as this one. This guy started off with an intelligent question, I jumped in to try to help, and it soon became clear he didn't know squat.

But these threads didn't start out frustrating. They started out with a person too ignorant to realize they need to know more about the language and the IDE before seeking technical guidance in solving a problem. Both of those threads have contributors with 25+ years of cumulative LabVIEW experience, which should be flattering to the original poster. But again, the poster is too ignorant to realize he should be flattered by the display of generosity from the best LabVIEW minds in the world.

Both threads above have over 50 replies and span weeks, but the best thing that could have happened to both of those guys is pointing them to a FAQ entry (the FAQ is forthcoming) that convinces them to actually go through the tutorials, and then thread silence. If they want to keep posting the same thread trying to get someone to hold their hand through Basics I, their pleas should be reminiscent of "Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?" But keep throwing a bone, and they'll keep coming back.

I think there should be a consensus in the forum regulars to quickly identify these guys and categorize them the same as "homework hunters". The amount of help offered to these guys should be commensurate to their knowledge - limited.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 82
(11,973 Views)

@JackDunaway wrote:

Agreed, frustrating thread... but not half as frustrating as this one. This guy started off with an intelligent question, I jumped in to try to help, and it soon became clear he didn't know squat.

I like his third post in that thread with the statement:

"They have provided no LabVIEW code, other than the group of VI's contained within the library."

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 82
(11,936 Views)

@paulmw wrote:

@JackDunaway wrote:

I like his third post in that thread with the statement:

"They have provided no LabVIEW code, other than the group of VI's contained within the library."

Hahah, what good is a library full of helpful drivers and functions anyway Smiley Very Happy

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 82
(11,932 Views)

tbob,

Don't let the person frustrate you too much.  😉

It's obvious that if a person can't do simple math, how does someone expect them to code?

The scary part is that some people prefer hiring those types of people than the experienced programmer.  They think they'll save money.

I still blame how LabVIEW is portrayed as being so simple that no former skill is necessary.  Followed by a simple code written in less than a minute.

Those people do not realize the value of experienced programmers...  That's where the problem lies. 

And that's unlikely to change..

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 82
(11,914 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

The scary part is that some people prefer hiring those types of people than the experienced programmer.  They think they'll save money.

I still blame how LabVIEW is portrayed as being so simple that no former skill is necessary.  Followed by a simple code written in less than a minute.

Those people do not realize the value of experienced programmers...  That's where the problem lies. 

And that's unlikely to change..

Mon cousin,  I'm afraid you are right.  I wish NI would change things but I know they won't.  It means money to them.  I'm sure the recognize the harm they are causing the professional world.  They are not ignorant.  But the fact remains that money matters more than any trouble they have caused professional programmers. 

So why do we all VOLUNTEER our valuable time to support a company that gives us grief ?  Do we really love Labview that much?  My answer is yes.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 19 of 82
(11,908 Views)

@tbob wrote:

So why do we all VOLUNTEER our valuable time to support a company that gives us grief ?  Do we really love Labview that much?  My answer is yes.

But the "yes" has been getting less loud over the years.....  That's my observation at least.

Message 20 of 82
(11,896 Views)