BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign language spam

Thought I would post this on the NI Forum since there is a good world-wide pool of members.

Have you ever recieved a spam email written in a foreign language? I for one have never recalled getting one out of a sample size in the 1000's. I asked a few coworkers and they also never have. I reside in the USA.

How can this be? At work, our spam filter shows country of origin- they come in from all over the world, all are in English. Do spammers know the target country and send them in the appropriate language? I highly doubt that all spam is written in English.

Just curious to know your experiences.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
Message 1 of 10
(8,874 Views)

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan wrote:
Thought I would post this on the NI Forum since there is a good world-wide pool of members.

Have you ever recieved a spam email written in a foreign language? I for one have never recalled getting one out of a sample size in the 1000's. I asked a few coworkers and they also never have. I reside in the USA.

How can this be? At work, our spam filter shows country of origin- they come in from all over the world, all are in English. Do spammers know the target country and send them in the appropriate language? I highly doubt that all spam is written in English.

Just curious to know your experiences.

-AK2DM

Like you, I've only ever received spam in English. Although calling it English in some cases is stretching the point. It's possible that some of this illiterate spam has been written by someone to whom English is not their first language.

For your analysis I'm based in the UK.
"...and all this science I don't understand
it's just my job five days a week"

Using 6i, 7.0 & 7.1 on Win'98, 2K & XP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(8,867 Views)
I get plenty of spam in foreign languages, especially on my ancient address. I see chinese, german, etc. all the time.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,862 Views)
Here's a quick glance into my spam folder. 😞

Most of those have a score over 40...
Even the date is forged or malformed, apparently they were sent in 2018 or 2038.

Message Edited by altenbach on 10-04-2007 09:30 AM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,858 Views)

Interesting, I wonder if it is related to the internet service provider.

I presume the XXXX characters are improperly translated/supported character sets.

Spam from the future, there's gotta be some good stock market tipoffs in there somewhere! How much are prescription drugs in 2038? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,849 Views)

I guess I should have done my homework first with Google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22foreign+language+spam%22

Appears there arevarious means to filter out foreign languages. In my Outlook at work, there are no rules set up for filtering, it must be happening prior to that with our provider. I'll have to check at home and see how hotmail/MSN is set up.

Altenbach- you may want to look at some of those Google links to filter out if you are so inclined.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,846 Views)
Hi!
   I receive plenty of spam, of course, and I receive it in English.  I am Italian, I reside in Italy, and formerly I worked in France, so I have both Italian and French accounts, but it seems that English is predominant!

Seldom, I receive fishing in italian, more often spam in spanish.... who knows why? Maybe the net has a mind on its own (or his own?), and is english speaking....

Have a nice week-end!

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(8,807 Views)

I started receiving Polish / Russian ? German spam at one time... And still occasionally do. Although maybe < 1% now.

I suspect a Polish friend's contact list was shared by a trojan.  He does have a 20yr old son.

I get 2 varieties, now.  One is from a firm which changes names and keeps offering jobs.  They send 2- 3 times a day to 3 of my email addys. (2 personal that are never used, and one at work addy).  A thourough anti spy scan showed nothing.  The ones to my personal addy are re-directed by the ISP. 😠  Apparently, it is how they broadcast to the many subscribers.

I never receive any French ones... Or maybe a couple 2 years ago..  But not anymore..

Anyone recommend a good spam filter software?

Message 8 of 10
(8,796 Views)

@JoeLabView wrote:

Not software, but go into the site of any travelling agency and ask to fly to a place with no web connection et voila, no spam.

Not software, but go into the site of any travelling agency and ask to fly to a place with no web connection et voila, no spam.

LOL Smiley Very Happy

or you can trythe principauty of Sealand!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wires...
Message 10 of 10
(8,746 Views)