BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For loop with shift registers and an empty array as indexer

OK, there is no other place than right here that I can ask this obscure a question:

When mentally evaluating code with a an autoindexing for loop that also carries shift registers, and contemplating the dataflow if an empty array should happen along at runtime...

Does anyone else in the LabVIEW universe (besides me) have a flashback to those old MAD magazine inside back covers?

Thanks, it's been a long day,

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 1 of 9
(12,841 Views)

....must enable constant folding for this to make sense.  Smiley Very Happy

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
Message 2 of 9
(12,801 Views)

@DavidBoyd wrote:

OK, there is no other place than right here that I can ask this obscure a question:

When mentally evaluating code with a an autoindexing for loop that also carries shift registers, and contemplating the dataflow if an empty array should happen along at runtime...

Does anyone else in the LabVIEW universe (besides me) have a flashback to those old MAD magazine inside back covers?

Thanks, it's been a long day,

Dave

No,  the shift register is one location in memory.  once you write to it it has a value.  tunnels each get their own buffer so outputs are only written when the loop actually iterates or else they have the default value for the datatype.  crystal clear.  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(12,750 Views)
Ummm, Jeff, it's BreakPoint. It was my attempt at über-geeky humor.

Not to belabor the point, but I've been on the LabVIEW bus since version 4, ca. 1997. So I think I know about SRs vs. tunnels.

Dave
David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(12,730 Views)

@DavidBoyd wrote:

Yes, whenever i try to understand recursive functions ...

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(12,718 Views)

@DavidBoyd wrote:
Ummm, Jeff, it's BreakPoint. It was my attempt at über-geeky humor.

Not to belabor the point, but I've been on the LabVIEW bus since version 4, ca. 1997. So I think I know about SRs vs. tunnels.

Dave

OK .  thinking that way.  And trying to be funny.  How small is that bus?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(12,687 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

OK .  thinking that way.  And trying to be funny.  How small is that bus?

32 seats.
Thy are working on making it 64 seats, you only can't exit it at every stop from the new seats.  

Learning LabVIEW since January 2013
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(12,653 Views)

My bus has 64 seats, all occupied by either tall thin people who stand straight up and seem very active, or short round glum looking people. And every time the built in clock ticks a second they all rapidly change seats. Sometimes I think I see patterns to the chosen seat positions, but it mostly looks random...

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 8 of 9
(12,649 Views)

There are no bozos on that bus (an homage to "Firesign Theatre" for those old enough to remember, who, if they listened to FST are able to remember.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(12,637 Views)