From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eureka!

Ok, here

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 41 of 48
(9,731 Views)

@Steve Chandler wrote:

Ok, here

Magical 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 48
(9,682 Views)

I'm glad you posted this!
So I'm not the only one with the starenge addiction to writing emulators in LabVIEW.

Check out my Commodore C64 written in LV:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/diy-labview-crew/blog/2009/10/20/a-commodore-64-emulator-writt...

Christian

Message 43 of 48
(9,660 Views)

I saw that but only after writing the Apple][ emulator. I wanted to keep it secret until the Apple]['s 35th anniversary but tst almost figured it out in reply #17 of this thread. I will take a look at how you did it later. I will also post the code for this in case someone wants to finish it.

There is no sound yet and that might be difficult. The way sound works on the Apple][ is that accessing a specific memory location toggles a flip-flop that is connected to the speaker. This means that timing is critical since tones are created in software timed loops. The emulator runs much faster than the 1MHz Apple][ and getting it to run at that exact frequency without crazy jitter is not really possible.

Also writing to virtual disks does not work yet. Did you ever emulate the Commodore disk drive?

Another thing that doesn't work yet is the expansion RAM. The Apple bank switches the upper memory between RAM and ROM to get 64K of RAM. Some software requires that such as Copy II Plus.

And graphics are not done yet. Only text mode works right now. It won't be too difficult to add that except for high resolution mode. The way they did color was kind of strange. The color of the pixels depends on the pixels around them.

I could make the 6502 go much faster. I tried to keep the number of cycles the same as a real 6502. There are a few indexed addressing modes and branches where the number of cycles can vary. If I just execute the whole opcode in one state then it should be about five times faster.

If I ever get around to doing a 68000 emulator I will definately do it that way. I want to emulate an original "Fat Mac" which ran at 10MHz and see if I can get LabVIEW 1.0 to run on it. Is it even possible to get a copy of LabVIEW 1.0 anymore?

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 48
(9,649 Views)

Steve Chandler wrote: I want to emulate an original "Fat Mac" which ran at 10MHz and see if I can get LabVIEW 1.0 to run on it.

That's just a whole another level of reentrancy.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 45 of 48
(9,639 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Steve Chandler wrote: I want to emulate an original "Fat Mac" which ran at 10MHz and see if I can get LabVIEW 1.0 to run on it.

Especially if I could get the emulator to run on LabVIEW 1.0 Smiley Very Happy

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 48
(9,632 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Sortof like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP5-iIeKXE8 (Life on Life).

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 48
(9,580 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@Steve Chandler wrote:

You know... At the risk of sounding like the Magic 8-Ball I cannot say how ironic it is that this should come up in the Eureka thread.

I missed the irony. Can you give me a hint?

Ben

The hint is in G502.lvlib:Get Instruction Microcode.vi

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 48
(9,522 Views)