BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dev Time Tracker: do you use one?

I have used one on Linux a while back, but now I am on Windows 7 and I am not sure which one to choose.  I currently use Project to create schedules/projections of time but I want to track my actual LabVIEW development time.  Does anybody use one of these tools now?  If you google for one there are tons and tons of options and I just thought I could see what other LabVIEWers are doing.  Let me know...Thanks!  Here are some of the programs available if you aren't familiar with time trackers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_time_tracking_software

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(12,170 Views)

We use an in-house version.

It lets me quickly switch amoung multiple tasks so the right customer gets chared for my time.

It is now in BETA testing ofr version 2 that has improvements over the previous. Using a in-house version gives us the ability to change our file formats to fit with different accounting packages (as you grow, quckbooks just don't cut it anymore).

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(12,130 Views)

I am surprised that I didn't get many responses regarding this as I thought a lot of people use time tracking software for development, especially for accounting for billable hours.  Well, I just decided to just create my own time tracker program (using LV of course).  I am almost finished with it, then I will post it up to the forums to solicit some constructive feedback.  I would still be interested to know if anyone has experience with time tracking programs...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(12,088 Views)

It is not really time tracking since we do not charge for our time.  We use our work order database (homegrown in Filemaker) to keep track of our time for management purposes.  It has categories for electrical,mechanical, and software (among others) and design, build, test, ...

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(12,080 Views)

That makes sense.  I just think I will like having the ability to see where the majority of my time is spent while creating a project.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(12,071 Views)

This blog may help you with the right time tracker to use. They featured Time doctor. It is a good time tracker. I have also used this for my small online business. I am impressed and satisfied with this tool because it tracks the exact amount of time spent by my workers, plus it aslo provides me screen shots so I would know and I can monitor what web pages and applications they are using. I am also in windows 7 and I had no problems installing this device. It is essential to use this type of programs so that we can be efficient on our working hours. I hope you found a time tracker for you projects too.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(11,943 Views)

Leonnie, our company also uses time doctor. Its a great software because it enables us to monitor our productivity by noting the time we spent on websites and helps us prioritize tasks. If you want to learn more about it, you can read this article review

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(11,875 Views)

leonnie and Jakemiller007,

I Agree that it is a very good tool for tracking but you are advertising in wrong forum. This forum is meant for LabVIEW discussion so better don't advertise in the future because this may attract spams.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(11,855 Views)

I currently use TSheets Time Tracker and am really pleased with it

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(11,834 Views)

"Total Minutes Online: 60761" 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13