BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenge for the experts !

How would you cut a hole through front panel objects ? Could you build something equivalent to the vi below ?

And if you know the trick, please don't post it immediately... 😉
Message Edité par chilly charly le 12-28-2008 07:46 AM
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 1 of 23
(13,257 Views)

chilly charly wrote:

Could you build something equivalent to the vi below ?

Yes .

And if you know the trick, please don't post it immediately... 😉

Oh, well. Since you insist.

Here's a hint for those who want to look (select the text to view it): this is just a special case of making something in the FP partially transparent.

Message Edited by tst on 12-28-2008 10:34 AM

Let's make things slightly more difficult : Dig also a round hole through the front panel objects, as shown on the image below. 

Post your achievements as images, we shall compare the codes later... Pure LabVIEW only of course !

Have fun !

Message Edité par chilly charly le 12-28-2008 04:11 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(13,225 Views)
The challenge is missing a few parameters: Is the VI supposed to be operational? Are you still supposed to be able to use the controls? For example, are you supposed to be able to select the max value of the knob to be able to change it? Is the hole supposed to move as you move the window? Your front panel does not appear to have a title bar, so I'm not sure if you're supposed to be able to move the window. Are any temporary redrawing side-effects allowed? If so, to what extent?
Message 4 of 23
(13,223 Views)
smercurio_fc a écrit:
Is the VI supposed to be operational ?   Yes of course ! 
Are you still supposed to be able to use the controls ? For example, are you supposed to be able to select the max value of the knob to be able to change it ? Well, if there is a hole there, there is nothing to be selected ! Otherwise, everything should be functional.
Is the hole supposed to move as you move the window ? The holes belong to the pane. So they move when you move the window or when you scroll the pane.
Your front panel does not appear to have a title bar... 😮 ???
Are any temporary redrawing side-effects allowed ? If so, to what extent ? Redrawing side-effects should be kept minimal, if any 😉

Message Edité par chilly charly le 12-28-2008 05:59 PM

Message 5 of 23
(13,218 Views)

How about this (8.0)?

Of course, people who know what they're doing will be able to play with the VI to find out at least some of the trick, but these people probably have an idea already.

Well done Tst !

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(13,181 Views)

chilly charly wrote:
Your front panel does not appear to have a title bar... 😮 ???

Never mind. I thought I was looking at your Windows desktop with the gray pane being the LabVIEW window. I don't normally see such scenic vistas on LabVIEW front panels. Kind of reminds me of an interviewee at my previous job who was so proud of the wood-grain paneling he had for his VI's front panel. Note that I'm not dinging your style! Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 23
(13,171 Views)

smercurio_fc a écrit: [...] Kind of reminds me of an interviewee at my previous job who was so proud of the wood-grain paneling he had for his VI's front panel. Note that I'm not dinging your style! 

I have to confess that I'm not using usually such panel backgrounds :D. It was just a convenient way to illustrate the hole idea. 
But may be we should push your idea ahead, and try to dig a hole through the VI pane to see the window board below... 😉 

Message 9 of 23
(13,164 Views)

chilly charly wrote:  

try to dig a hole through the VI pane to see the window board below...

I don't think you'll be able to do this using pure G, but I do have VIs which call into the Windows API which can do that.