BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD-R concerns

@Robert Cole wrote:

I would have preferred to write the 4 hour CLD over again than take a test with irrelevant and trivia type of questions.

Rob

Shhh! Not so loud! Smiley Surprised

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 76
(14,078 Views)

Well, why not?

Maybe we should have the option of renewing by writing (wiring?) the full exam. For the reduced recertification cost, of course.

Rob

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 76
(14,074 Views)

@Robert Cole wrote:

Well, why not?

Rob

Because it is four hours and there is not an NI training facility around here. The current option is just one hour and I can go to Pearson VUE. I wouldn't mind if there was a choice but I think it is fair to charge more for the four hour proctored exam.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 76
(14,058 Views)

Either way, the two years is surprisingly short, and until very recently there weren't any PearsonVue centers within about 100 miles of my office, making recerts expensive and inconvenient. And, for the "practical" exam (the coding one) they have stated that knowledge of the latest version isn't necessary, so I'm a bit surprised that they have v2010 questions in the recert. As those would be the relatively small differences between earlier versions and current, they would qualify as arcane, to my thinking. The current long term project I'm have been working on for the last 1 1/2 years is in version 8.6, so other than dabbling with it in beta and having it installed on my personal laptop I haven't much exposure to the changes in v2010. Does that mean I'm not a competent, knowledgeable LabVIEW developer (I have been continuously working in LabVIEW since v2.5, F'92)?

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 76
(14,029 Views)

Hello Everyone,

There are not any questions dealing with LabVIEW 2010 currently on the CLD-R exam. The latest version that we are currently testing to is LabVIEW 2009. We expect all CLDs to have proficiency to two versions back of LabVIEW. If you take a look at the CLD-R Preparation Guide, all of this is explained. First of all, on page 4 of the CLD-R Preparation Guide, there is a table explaining the break down of questions on the CLD-R. I have copied this table below:

Capture.PNG

Because the CLD-R is a 40 question test, as described on page 3, that means that there are 2 questions dealing with "new" features. You must only receive 70% to pass the exam, so even if you miss both of the new feature questions, you should still be able to pass the test easily with a 95%. Also, page 5 of the CLD-R Preparation Guide explains what a "new feature" is. According to page 5, a new feature is one that was new in LabVIEW 8.6 or LabVIEW 2009 (as shown in the image below).

Capture1.PNG

It is important for developers to be aware of new features as sometimes they can have rather significant consequences. For example, Conditional Terminals for For loops, Data Value References, and native Recursion were all features added in LabVIEW 2009. These are significant additions to the programming features native to LabVIEW, and CLDs should be aware of them. For a full list of new features added for each version, look here.

Finally, we expect CLDs to pass this exam (the pass rate is approximately 90%), but it is not meant to be easy. The purpose of this test is to evaluate your LabVIEW skills in an ongoing manner. All kinds of technical fields require continuing education to stay current, and programming in LabVIEW is no different. We don't want anyone to fail, but at the same time, we want to keep the bar for being a CLD high. This ultimately makes your certification more valuable. If you are concerned about failing because you are not up-to-speed on new features, do not worry. If you look at the percent coverage of topics on the CLD-R, you will see that you should be able to pass the exam even if you only know basic LabVIEW topics. If you have specific concerns or quesions, please contact us at certification@ni.com, and we will be more than happy to address your questions and concerns.

Wes Pierce
Principal Engineer
Pierce Controls
Message 25 of 76
(14,010 Views)

Well put Wes.  We had a discussion on this topic a while back that stemmed from the inclusion of the feedback node with a set delay and the direction changed that appeared in a sample exam.  There were discussions as to whether these types of questions were relevant or not.  Roy, from NI, who is (according to his post) involved in revamping the CLD made an great post with many key points.  It's at the top of the second page.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/CLDR-Sample-Exam-Question/td-p/1066314/page/2

Maybe this will help clear the air of NI's intent.

-Dave

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 76
(14,014 Views)

has anyone looked at the current practice exam 1 (as of 7/sept/2011) Q19. i've no idea how you are meant to get the output value without knowing what is inside the "calculation.vi" or am i missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 76
(13,880 Views)

It's a reentrant VI that's calling itself. 

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 76
(13,871 Views)

blimy, what a mind bender to work out in your head!

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 76
(13,864 Views)

@wes P wrote:

It is important for developers to be aware of new features as sometimes they can have rather significant consequences. For example, Conditional Terminals for For loops, Data Value References, and native Recursion were all features added in LabVIEW 2009. These are significant additions to the programming features native to LabVIEW, and CLDs should be aware of them. For a full list of new features added for each version, look here.

Q1:

Are you grading the CLA-R exams?

If False then you are clear to look at the spoiler below. If true skip to the end of this posting thank you.

Spoiler

Q2"

Why? I used to code without them long before anyone invented them. I am sure that Michelangelo would still be a wonderful sculptor with out learning about how to use an air-hammer. Sure we say he would be great but just not certified. So certification is not a measurement of greatness?

Done being silly

Thank you,

Ben

PS: If you are not already familiar with me let me explain that I have always had a real "issue" with being tested. I can't remeber a test that I really liked or one that came close to actually measuring a person's ability in an area of interest. I hold a personal goal to do everything I can to eleimnate all written tests of all forms. They do not do what they claim to do an yet they are used to make decisions anyway. Somewhere back in history, teachers knew the capabilities of the students and did not have to test them. So test in general are a lie that I would like to wipe out.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 30 of 76
(13,849 Views)