BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for VIs instead of jpg's lights a fuse that will blow-up our work with time

Just a quick observation to the fellow contributors.

It is just a matter of time until old VIs simply can not be opened by modern versions of LV. That means those threads that lack images of the code and only include the VIs themselves have a limited life-span.

So to prevent YOUR work to answer a question from going obsolete, please consider including Snippets posted a png's in your replies. That way we can at least look at the code.

Done sharing my thoughts,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1 of 18
(7,557 Views)

You also have the issue of older versions of LabVIEW trying to open new VIs.  I use the Code Capture Tool to create snippets and post those.  As Ben stated, at least you can go by the picture if nothing else.  And snippets can easily turn into code as well.  So it is definately better than posting an actual VI for solutions.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 18
(7,545 Views)

I seriously doubt that there will be another massive LabVIEW overhaul that will make current versions unreadable in future versions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(7,523 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

[...]use the Code Capture Tool to create snippets and post those. [...]

I do the same, and set it to save the snippet to an older version to help even more!

LissajousCurve80_BD.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 4 of 18
(7,496 Views)

I'll Chime in!

<Wow, its been awhile since I posted that phrase I usually means I'm going to offer an opinion rather than state fact>

Historically, attachments were prefered over inline images.  This has been obsoleted by improvements to network infrastructure.  Yup, PERIOD! a few 3rd world areas may still have problems with the amount of data presented in a Disscussion Forum Thread but - Not many.  So let me expose my arguments in favor of inline code captures!  

1. Readability! I don't need to jump to a link to see what the poster is talking about (And why is "open link on the same page" still default????? ARGGGH! now I need three more clicks to view both the subject and the thoughts of the poster!  Yes you can target the link to open in a new tab but...THE OP doesn't know about that!)  Inlining a code capture presents the ideas and the problem in context.
  2. I can't view vi's via mobile.  (Those of you with strong "Google-Fu" can look up that excellant idea over on the exchange) Wose, muti-tab browsing is a pain on mobile devices.  Yup, I may be away from a computer when my cell phone notifies me that a "Hot Topic" has a response.  I CAN view an inlined code capture and continue to seek a soloution for the OP.
  3. Capture.PNG
    Spoiler
    this code was open and meaninless but illustrated my point
  4. That was easy!  Crtl+A Ctrl+/.  Yes I retargeted Ctrl+/ to "Create Snippet from seletcion" I Hate side by side windows anyhow- I have two monitors!  its a crying shame that I can't create a custom menu short-cut to launch a "Tool" menu option like LAVA>> Code Capture!

in summary, Its easy to inline a snippet, somewhat better to inline a Code Captue and BOTH improve readability.   Bonus! the OP can POOF your code into life with the bugfix. <It appears to be even easier than marking a thread "Solved">(Jing is free- if you need to demo how to poof code from a png)

End rant!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 18
(7,462 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Asking for VIs instead of jpg's

Jpgs are definitely out. With any level of compression, they don't deal well with line drawings (LabVIEW code) and such. PNGs are highly preferred, and we can even create snippets.

Even snippets don't work that well unless we are on a computer that has a suitable LabVIEW version. On a phone, we cannot tell what's in the other cases of a case or event structure, for example. Users often fail to set controls values to reasonable default, so testing a snippet is difficult unless we know what kind of inputs the code typically gets.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(7,449 Views)

Png's and snippet are superior to just a plane VI that may be in a version newer than what we have installed and can not be viewed on an "i-thingy".

Just my 2 cents,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(7,446 Views)

Snippets are OK for simple code, but fail miserably in certain scenarios, e.g. a snippet of a subVI loses the execution setting, icon, and connector assignment, so they are really only usable for flat, single-VI code.

(Creating snippets is often difficult for me, because I occasionally use non-public LabVIEW versions.)

With a bit of effort, it is much more illustrative to (1) attach the code and (2) create a combination image that summarizes and illustrates the gist of the propsed solution. It also makes the posts be more memorable and more easy to find later. (example).

Message 8 of 18
(7,442 Views)

What you showed above Christian is near ideal and far exceeds the "Try this" reply with a VI attached.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(7,434 Views)

If an image captures all of what your question is about I really don't care, but whenever I see a .jpg attached to the post I assume it willl be some super out of context screenshot of the code. Basically, here is 1/4 of 1 of the 5 processes that my application is running, why am I crashing. I have nothing against the format I just kind of assume the image doesn't tell the whole story.

When I escalate things internally I try to just attach the entire project and add screenshots or snippets of relevant code. If I didn't mess up, you just have to look at the images to understand my problem, but I totally understand that I can screw things up so I attach the project just in case.

As a counter-point, I've seen people inline images and no one complains because the images capture the entire problem.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(7,416 Views)