BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Runkeeper users around here?

Do any of you use the Runkeeper smartphone app? I've been using it for over a year now and have progressed from not being able to move my (formerly) fat body a half-mile without choking on my lungs to being able to run a 5K in under 30 minutes. I just signed up for one of their fitness classes that will have me running a sub-60-minute 10K in 16 weeks.

I'm looking to build my Street Team with a few like-minded folks. Anyone interested? My Runkeeper profile is here.

Jim

(cross-posted on LAVA here)

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 1 of 12
(11,541 Views)

No, not me. The P.T. in the Navy was the last running or similar activity for me (baring some sit-ups with my son).

I adhere to my father's exercise plan which is very fleixible and generaly only involves a shovel or work-glooves. At 75 he was still able to run a wheel barrow up a hill. The nice thing about his exercise program is when you are done you have a new wing on the house or a garden where there wasn't one prior.

Sorry for the distraction, but running only to end up were I started is not my bag.

It does sound like it is helping you.

What about it keeps you going?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(11,510 Views)

@Ben wrote:

[...]

I adhere to my father's exercise plan which is very fleixible and generaly only involves a shovel or work-glooves. At 75 he was still able to run a wheel barrow up a hill. The nice thing about his exercise program is when you are done you have a new wing on the house or a garden where there wasn't one prior.

I like that plan, only it doesn't address cardiovascular endurance.  It's great for strength, though.  I developed a diet & exercise plan a few years ago that I called the Garden Diet.  Plant & tend your garden and only eat what you grow.  You get plenty of exercise making the garden, you don't eat any of that lousy processed garbage the stores distribute and there's a prolonged period of fasting while you wait for the seeds and dirt to turn into food.

@Ben wrote:

[...]

What about it keeps you going?

My OCD. 🙂

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(11,498 Views)

Not a runner (unless something's chasing me)... but I ride with a GPS.

That'll drop tracks with lat/long, datestamp, and elevation.

Pull that into Google Earth... you get tracks from where you were, speed profile, elevation profile, and you can extrapolate lap times (pretty awesome during enduro/harescramble races to see your lap times go down lap-to-lap and race-to-race). 

Also kinda cool to drag all the tracklogs in at the end of the season and see everything you've covered.

Message 4 of 12
(11,480 Views)

Although my fitness has been lacking lately, health and well being is important to me so I will have to try that app! I still workout, and referee soccer on the weekends. I also play indoor soccer Monday nights. In the winter, I snowboard, except this year I fell in the alps on my first day and spent the rest of  my trip in the hospital with broken ribs Smiley Mad. I will say, physical activity at over 10,000 feet tells you real fast how in shape you really are! Here is a picture from my trip. If nothing else, this picture from about 9,000 feet is pretty to look at!

Edit: I didn't post the picture directly in the post because I can't seem to make it smaller. Takes a little while to load.

Message 5 of 12
(11,468 Views)

@SnowMule wrote:

Not a runner (unless something's chasing me)... but I ride with a GPS.

That'll drop tracks with lat/long, datestamp, and elevation.

Pull that into Google Earth... you get tracks from where you were, speed profile, elevation profile, and you can extrapolate lap times (pretty awesome during enduro/harescramble races to see your lap times go down lap-to-lap and race-to-race). 

Also kinda cool to drag all the tracklogs in at the end of the season and see everything you've covered.

Runkeeper does the same for my lunchtime walks, bicycle rides and runs.  It sounds like you've got a good solution in Google Earth.

We like riding (street and woods) but my oldest son likes it the most.  He can coast past me going uphill, somehow.  I like to think it's because his bike is much better than mine, but his enormous thighs might play a small role.  He's not really into performance tracking, yet.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(11,439 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

Although my fitness has been lacking lately, health and well being is important to me so I will have to try that app! I still workout, and referee soccer on the weekends. I also play indoor soccer Monday nights. In the winter, I snowboard, except this year I fell in the alps on my first day and spent the rest of  my trip in the hospital with broken ribs Smiley Mad. I will say, physical activity at over 10,000 feet tells you real fast how in shape you really are! Here is a picture from my trip. If nothing else, this picture from about 9,000 feet is pretty to look at!

Edit: I didn't post the picture directly in the post because I can't seem to make it smaller. Takes a little while to load.

Great picture.  That'd be a good place to take a day off from running :); too bad it wasn't your choice.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(11,438 Views)

jcarmody wrote:

Great picture.  too bad it wasn't your choice.

At that point it still was my choice. That was about 5 minutes before I went off-piste and met my nemisis, the 8 meter (not feet, was in europe Smiley Tongue ) cliff, which I acrobatically summersaulted down. If you ever get a chance to go to Austria, it is much recommended (less the injury part!).

Message 8 of 12
(11,409 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

physical activity at over 10,000 feet tells you real fast how in shape you really are

alps.png

as i'm eyeballing lines that look do-able on a snowmobile...

And +1 for high-altitude recreation.  What's real fun is when you're used to digging at 10k ft, then you go somewhere like west yellowstone at 6-7k... you feel like a champion, and can easily outdrink all the flatlanders you're riding with Smiley Very Happy

~12,600 ft

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(11,378 Views)

speaking of going off cliffs... Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(11,375 Views)