Biomedical User Group Blog

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The NI licence policy exclude the "Touch Panel Module" from use in the medical segment

Coq_Rouge
Trusted Enthusiast

At our firm we continuously evaluate how we may cut prices and increase productivity. In this process we have evaluated the use of windows CE, and Labview. As we use Labview in other productcs. And windows CE is a interesting OS for small modules. Medical grade units are also available on the market. So we did some testing on the side as both Windows CE and Labview Touch Panel Module, can be evaluated for free. The testing was promising so we almost decided to take it further. That is, until we discovered the licence policy for the Touch Panel Module. Since the NI HMI units are not of medical grade type devices, we can not use any of them. And because of that we have to purchase a Touch Panel Deployment License for each and every unit we sell. And that license will cost us the equivalent sum of 730$. What a showstopper. I can understand the LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for Standard PC's- ETS RTOS (813$ converted from locale currency) . As in this case we  also get a RTOS not developed by NI. But what do get for 730$ a piece of paper, and a plastic sticker with some NI logo? And we still do have to pay for Windows CE licence. So shame on you NI for the most greedy licence policy I have ever seen.  If NI keep this up they will soon end up like the American car industry. Producing cars that hardly even Americans are interested in.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Comments