From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do we use can breakout box?

Hi,

I am relatively new to the CAN networks and i am having some difficulties understanding some basic concepts and i would be grateful if someone can help me out.

so my questions are as follows:

what's the use of the CAN breakout box apart from providing external power?

i am working with the following equipments

NI - 9862 and NI cDAQ-9174 chassis.

I would like to know what model of CAN controler is present in the NI 9862 module and where is the microcontroler found, in the Ni 9862 module or Chassis?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards

Bonjour,

je suis nouveau en ce qui concerne le réseau CAN et j'ai du mal à comprendre des petits chose. Je veux savoir quel modèle de controleur CAN est présent dans le NI-9862?

où se trouve le microcontroleur dans le chassis ou le module ni-9862?

est-ce que je peut connecter 2 modules NI 9862 directement sans passer par le boitier d'extension?

Cordialement

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,800 Views)

It's optional of course.  When doing various development work, it is nice to be able to switch in 120 ohm, or 60 ohms on CAN high and low.  Also some times you will just have just bare wires and the breakout box is a convient way to connect bare wire devices up to the standard DB9 devices.

And there is the optional external power which I found useful for CAN and LIN when things like the c-Series modules that need some times need external power to work.

My opinion is the hardware isn't worth it, but I had someone buy it years ago and so I got to use it and it was helpful, especially if you have lots of different CAN or LIN projects.

Message 2 of 5
(5,794 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. do you have any idea if in a C-series NI 9862 module, the microcontroller is integrated with the CAN controller or does the CAN controller use an external microC?

Regards

Navish

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,786 Views)

Here is the data sheet for the 9862.

http://www.ni.com/datasheet/pdf/en/ds-97

The 9862 includes everything except the chassis.  A USB or Ethernet based cDAQ chassis is all you'll need to read and write CAN using the XNET library which I'm a big fan of.  Or if you are wanting to go the embedded design you'll want a cRIO chassis, or one of the chassis with an embedded PC which can run head-less.  These get a lot more expensive and you'll want to make sure the chassis is compatible with the 9862 some of the older ones are not.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,783 Views)

Great you have been really helpful. I have the NI cDAQ-9174 chassis to work with. i will be working on XNET as from next week and once again thanks for your help.

Regards

Navish

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,780 Views)