Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set node id and baudrate via lss (CANOpen)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

for a reasearch project we are trying to use 2 CAN volume flow sensors (http://www.hydrotechnik.com/english/QT106_DSEN.pdf) . To use them in our CAN network I first have to configure the node-id and baudrate of each one. The manufacturer told me to do this via Layer Setting Service (LSS). (How) Can i do that using Labview?

I can use one of the following NI CAN Cards: NI PCI-CAN/2 and NI-PCI-8512 .

Thanks for any hints.

Greetings,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(10,942 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thomas87

Unfortunately, neither of your interfaces are compatible with CANopen. You will need a PCI-8531.

The baudrate and node-id can be configured very easily with the NI Industrial Communications for CANopen library.

Message 2 of 9
(10,938 Views)

I am pretty sure they are compatible in "some" way, because I am already controlling motors with the pci-8512 and reading sensor values with the pci-can/2 via labview and CANOpen library.

Thanks for the answer. I'll pass that information and see if it's worth getting new NI equipment just for the 2 sensors or if getting sensors with analog output is better in this case.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(10,932 Views)

Hi Thomas87,

perhaps this helps:

NI-LabVIEW-Bibliothek für CANopen

https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/ni-industrial-communications-canopen/page/canopenhelp/canopen_h...

regards

Dippi

Message 4 of 9
(10,912 Views)

Don't miss this warning : NI does not recommend the NI CANopen LabVIEW Library for use in new designs.

If I remember correctly the installer don't allow you to select new versions (> 8.6 ?) of LabVIEW. Therefore you will have to copy files manually.

You should use the new and free driver (NI Industrial Communications) although it needs a PCI-8531 interface.

Message 5 of 9
(10,906 Views)

Hi all,

1) JB is right

NI does not recommend the NI CANopen LabVIEW Library for use in new designs

But it is a second way to communicate over CANOpen.

2) I started the Installer...as attachment you will find a screenshot

The installer works with LV 8.5, 8.6, 2009 and 2010 (I have installed LV 2012 - and I can't choose that option)
=> I / you have to install this library manually

Regards
Dippi

Message 6 of 9
(10,902 Views)

Thank you Dippi for the details about the available LV versions in the installer. I didn't remember the numbers.

Although one of my colleagues wrote an application with this now "obsolete" and "will stay as it is" library, I choose the switch to the new one when I had to use CANopen in a project about one year ago.

Our team of developers use a common library which is completed with VIs of every new project. Therefore, in medium and long term, it would be a nonsense to build VIs for our library with this no longer supported CANopen library.

I would really avoid this library if you have to maintain your code during severals years !

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(10,894 Views)

Thank you for your hints. I am using the NI CANOpen Library although it is not recommended because it was used for this project until now and I have to achieve certain goals in a short amount of time which means I do not have much time left over for switching systems/toolboxes and adjusting the existing code.

The problem that the old Library and my NI Cards do not support LSS remains of course. For now I can use different sensors, but I will order a new PCI-8531 soon.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(10,886 Views)

Hi there, 

Can you give an example how to change a node-id of a device? I have two encoders from the same manufacturer (http://www.directindustry.com/prod/asm-automation-sensorik-messtechnik-gmbh/product-7141-1332131.htm...) and I need to change their node IDs.

I do have PCI 8531 installed on my computer. 

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,216 Views)