From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measure the CAN bus data in DMM

Hi

I need to do a loopback verification in CAN and verify the same using DMM-4071.

I have gone through XNET  examples for CAN Loopback ,it is working.But i need someone's help in verify the output in DMM.Can anyone suggest few ideas to measure the CAN bus data in DMM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,122 Views)

Well a DMM traditionally is quite slow.  It generally does DC averaging all the time.  Some nicer ones are able to detect frequency and duty cycle of a signal, but for this to get a lock on the signal it needs to maintain this on the order of seconds.  And a CAN signal, even at the lowest baud, is going to take much less than that.  No DMM will be usable to verify a CAN signal.

You'll need a scope.  Some expensive scopes have a CAN port built in where it can analyze the signal and look at rise and fall times, in addition to parsing the bits into a usable frame.  But even so this is overkill.

If you want to verify a CAN bus is working, plug in a off the shelf CAN device and see if the message makes it.  There are other steps you could perform of couse but it is a start.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,115 Views)