Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i sniff the cancasexl traffic on labview?

Hi, For my last year project i need to observe the data traffic passing through the cancasexl, someone can help me or give me an idea? thank you.
Message 1 of 9
(8,913 Views)

Youssef89,

I did a bit of digging here, and it sounds like VECTOR makes a CANcaseXL labview driver, but unfortunately it is not free. It also seems like They also have a free .NET library, which you could call into in LabVIEW, but it sounds like its a bit tedious, based on a few other threads such as this. That said, most of those forums were pretty old, so I would suggest contacting VECTOR to see what their options look like now.

Regards,

Kyle M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,903 Views)

Are you trying to monitor the CAN traffic, CAN messages on the bus? Do you have the VECTOR CANoe app also?

You could call CANoe from Labview...

What more exactly are you trying to achieve?

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(8,877 Views)

In fact there is another application running on parallel with labview to send the testing frames to the dashboard of a car.
I would like to get the passed frames using labview, than compare the frames to the data base to identify what kind of tests was done on the dashboard.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,873 Views)

Youssef89,

If you are trying to interface with a CAN bus to read an OBDII port, you should be able to do everything you need in LabVIEW with a simple CAN device (either NI-XNET or NI-CAN)  and a CAN-OBD-II connector. we then offer full APIs for talking to the bus. You can send and receive any frames or signals you could need from there through LabVIEW. The simplest setup would probably be a USB 8473 with a CAN-OBD-II connector cable. Would that be a viable option? It would circumnavigate needing to used the Vector CAN libraries altogether. 

Regards,

Kyle M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(8,849 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,811 Views)

I realise this thread is quite old now but anyone searching may be interested...

There is now a reasonably complete wrapper library for the vxlapi.dll uploaded to the NI Developer Community.

You may wish to have a look at it if you're developing for the Vector XL hardware.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-30180

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,252 Views)

Hello,

The tutorial to receive LIN frame works well for my application. I can "listen" communication between the master and the slave with my CANcaseXL.

But now I want to create a "master mode" in which I can send frame to my slave and read the answer.

Does anyone have an example to work in "master mode" with the CANcaseXL?

Renaud

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(8,213 Views)

The zip file in the NI Communities document mentioned above now contains an example VI that simulates a LIN Network with a master node and a configurable number of responding slave nodes.

I wrote it a long time ago to simulate heavy LIN traffic.

It is not as simple as the other included examples but it does show how to simulate a LIN Master node using the the vxlapi.

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,166 Views)