Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canErrNotStarted error after calling ncAction on a non-network object

I am having problems when I use ncAction to stop an individual object and then stop and start and re-stop the network. I then get the error canErrNotStarted. The CPU usage of my PC jumps to 100% and overall responsiveness becomes quite horrific. I sometimes get the canErrOverflowCard error after this. CPU usage remains at 100%.

I have two CAN channels connected by a loopback cable. I have configured fairly heavy traffic of periodic objects transmitting from the first channel and a few periodic objects transmitting from the second. The transmissions are initially properly received by the network objects until the canErrNotStarted error. The object that I stop is on the second channel with the relati
vely light traffic.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,690 Views)
Hey Scottw,

ncAction can not be used to stop an individual object. It can only be used to stop the network interface, which will stop all of the objects. If you look at page 11-6 in the user manual it lists two tables for the functions supported by the network interface and by specific CAN objects. The stop action is only listed in the network interface table.

I hope this helps out.

JoshuaP
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,690 Views)
I wondered if that was the reason. It seems to work sometimes, I guess I just got lucky.

So how do I stop an individual object? Do I use ncClose to disable it and then ncOpen to re-enable it?

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,690 Views)
Hey Scottw,

Stopping and starting the specific objects currently is not supported by the NI-CAN driver. If you use Transmit Data Periodically you can write data when you want and there is no need to stop the object or interface in most cases.

You can try to Close the object, and then use Config and Open to start writing again, but I can not guarantee it will work, because it is currently not supported.

We are looking into adding these feature in the future. If you have any input or suggestions on adding these features to the driver I would appreciate your feedback from our official product feedback forum.

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nicc.call_me?p_action=country&p_lang_id=US

JoshuaP
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,690 Views)