From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XNET Database Signal length

Hello Everyone,

I came across some strange problems on Friday:

First of all, my customer gave me a .dbc file which XNET did not properly recognize. It just listed a bunch of empty frames without names. Since the .dbc is under NDA I can't post it here, but I must say I was a bit disappointed since this means extra work for me.

I then tried writing a program which parses the .dbc file as a text file and builds the Database from the information therein. I got everything worked out pretty quickly, but something was off: The Signals, which I define in my program appeared to be out of bounds in the XNET Database editor (appearing with red crosses in the graphic). I then noticed that all the signals were set up as 32-Bit length, even though I told them otherwise. I attached a simplified version of my program with which I could reproduce the issue.

Can you reproduce it? What can I do to sort this out?

Needless to say, arranging everything by hand is the last thing I want to do since there are over 300 Signals.

Any comment or help is greatly appreciated.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,326 Views)

Hi Peter,

this looks indeed ackward. I could reproduce that with XNET 15.0.

One way around that I found so far is to "accept" that the signals always have a initial length of 32 bit then save the file, reopen it and edit the length on the seconds try. That works fine. Nethertheless unnveriving behaviour.

To implement the workaround one would need a recursive algorithm to automatically open, create a signal, save, reopen, edit the signal, create the next one

I will write a CAR (bug report) for that.

Best regards,

Christoph

Staff Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
Message 2 of 4
(4,311 Views)

Hi Christoph,

I have contacted NI Support regarding this issue here in Germany. Thanks for your help, maybe we should link the requests. I'll PM you the SRQ#.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,308 Views)

Hi Peter,

I take over the Service Request that has been created and we do the troubleshooting from there.

Best regards,

Christoph

Staff Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,301 Views)