Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W2K server w/PCI CAN cards freezes. Any ideas?

We are running a pick-to-light system on the CANbus and the server locks up for no reason. Only recovery is to restart.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,479 Views)
Hello,

First of all, have you been able to narrow this issue down to a CAN issue? Does the computer lock up only when it is performing NI-CAN operations? Does the problem go away when you take the CAN card out?

I am wondering about your driver version. Make sure that you are running the latest version of the NI-CAN driver from here: (v2.1.2 as of this writing)
http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/webcategories/85256410006C055586256BBB002C0ED2?OpenDocument&node=132060_US

Further, do you have the latest service pack for Windows 2000 installed? Even if you have recently installed it, new hardware and drivers can overwrite certain OS files, so it's good to re-apply it.

Please reply back to this post with information and I will be able to assist you furth
er.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,479 Views)
Thanks for the response,

We're not sure what the issue is at this point. The computer is running pick-to-light software through the CANbus and carousel software through the network card. We have multiple sites running the carousel software alone and have not seen this situation before until we started installing the pick-to-light software.

I am attaching a Zip file to this with a snapshot of the NI-CAN System info. I am not sure we are running the latest version of the NI-CAN driver at this site. The server has Windows 2000 SP4. Perhaps your idea of re-applying the SP4 is a possible solution. I am going to the Dell support site to see if they have any reports of freeze-ups like we are experiencing.

Thanks for the help,
David
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,479 Views)
David,

Yes, the service pack is a common fix and relatively easy. As with all system freezes, we need to isolate this one as best we can. Try to perform various operations using the carousel software only, then switch to the pick-to-light software only. There are many layers here, and we could be getting a freeze at any number of layers. It could be the software, the driver, the computer's hardware, or the communications hardware. Trying the same setup on a similar computer could be helpful if this is possible. This would eliminate possible computer-hardware failures and also provide us with a clean install of the OS.

I noticed from your screenshot that you provided that you do not have NI-CAN loaded on the system. Is this a National
Instruments CAN card? I wouldn't expect it to work at all without this driver, so that's why I ask. If you could get me the model of the card, that would be helpful too.

Good luck in your troubleshooting, and I am more than happy to help as you narrow this down. Just reply here.

Scott B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,479 Views)