From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing logged CAN frames in J1939 format

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there, I am new to LabView and could use some guidance on my first project. I am using the NI-9862 X-Net CAN port to read, record and analyze J1939 messages from a diagnostic port on a heavy duty vehicle.  My goal is to filter incoming messages by PGN  and observe them in real time as well as log them for later analysis. Options I’ve explored so far:

1) XNet Bus Monitor: Excellent for observing diagnostic stream sorted by PGN when referencing my proprietary J1939.dbc, but only logs data by timestamp, ID and data payload, not in J1939 format as it is displayed.

2) LabView Example “CAN input stream to TDMS logfile”:  Works well for logging all of the streamed frames but I am unable to utilize the log file unless I can convert the logged CAN frames back to J1939 protocol to display/sort them.

Essentially, both of those leave me with converting my logged CAN stream data back to J1939 format for analysis. What would be the most effective way for me to access my logged data in J1939 format, allowing for sorting by PGN, PGL, etc.?  The attached screen shot of the bus monitor shows the data and format I would like to log for future analysis. Thanks so much for your time and let me know what I need to clarify.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,303 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scotty96

Hi Scotty,

Have you seen this example?

J1939 Transport Protocol Reference Example

http://www.ni.com/example/31215/en/

It seems to have more direct support for J1939. It also includes some J1939 VIs to make working with the protocol easier.

Austin
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,243 Views)

Hi Austin,

Thanks, that was a big help. I had seen that example posted before but didn't find the download. The example came with a VI for converting CAN messages to J1939 which is exactly what I needed. Thanks again! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,223 Views)