Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using ECU and Automotive Toolkit with Non-NI Hardware

So I'm familiar with the ECU Measurement And Calibration Toolkit, which basically allows for CCP/XCP A2L communication over CAN, and the Automotive Diagnostic Command Set toolkit which allows for higher level CAN communication like ISO-15765.  I've used these both and they work great but are quite limiting in what you can do.  Like lets say I have an A2L but my ID's are off by 0x10 for all of them.  Because the Open is a DLL call with no control over where the messages go out, and their format, if the A2L file isn't exactly right there is no way it will work.  When I first learned about these toolkits I thought they would be a wrapper around existing NI-CAN or NI-XNet code, so that you could still have access to the frames going in and out to be written.

This is of course not the case, and you don't have frame level access.  As a result these APIs only work with NI-CAN and NI-XNet hardware.  If I have some 3rd party hardware for reading/writing frames, I can't use these toolkits.  But I had a thought over the weekend.  These toolkits support NI-CAN which has two virtual CAN ports, 256 and 257.  Lets say I made some code that used the CCP commands on CAN256.  Then had code running in parallel that read from 257 and wrote the frames to my 3rd party hardware.  And then it also read from my 3rd party hardware, and write back to CAN257.  Would this type of routine work to allow these toolkits to work on non-NI hardware?  Or would this type of routine get me frame level access to what these toolkits read and write?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,674 Views)
If you just want to change DTO and CRO IDs why dont you use the SetProp calls?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,658 Views)

I think you are missing my point slightly.  What I mean is I want low level access to the frames that go in and out due to these toolkits.  What options are there for this?  Can the virtual CAN ports be leveraged?  And if these questions are answered, does that mean that non-NI hardware can use these toolkits?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,624 Views)
You cant use. Non NI hardware
If you want low level access you can use the toolkits wirh FPGA / NI 985x

But i dont get why you need frame access, do you want to introduce protocol errors?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,618 Views)

@Gibson wrote:

But i dont get why you need frame access?

If I had frame level access, then I could use these toolkits with non-NI hardware.  Of course I am a proponent of NI hardware but sometimes the hardware selection is out of my hands.  Say I was given some CANCase XLs, and the Vector XL drivers which read and write raw frames.  If I had frame level access, or could use the virtual CAN ports for frame level access, then I could use this hardware with either toolkit I mentioned.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,614 Views)