Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torque Meter

Greetings Friends,

I am a mechanical engineering major in my senior year. My group's senior desing project is to design and manufacture a supercharger test rig. The company we're doing this for has an older test rig, and it utilizes NI hardware. We're taking all the NI hardware from the old system and moving it to the new one. So because of that, we decided to go with LabVIEW for the controls as well as the data acquisition and calculations. Well, we need to read the torque produced by the motor for calculations specified by SAE-J1723 standards. I have been looking everywhere I can and it is incredibly challenging for me, for some reason, to find a torque meter that is compatible with NI hardware and LabVIEW. I know the Honeywell Model 1104 would work because of the rotating portion of it, however it only reads up to 83.3 ft-lbs. Whereas we're going to need to read around 125 ft-lbs. So, my question: Is there a torque meter that is capbable of reading around 125 ft-lbs, plus and minus, and is also compatible with NI hardware and LabVIEW?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,054 Views)

Hi Squigley,

What NI hardware are you using? Most standard torque meters are just strain gages, and as long as you have hardware that can measure data from bridge sensors, you should be able to find a torque meter that works. 

For example, the NI 9237 can measure data from full and half bridge sensors, including torque sensors. Check out this tutorial on torque measurements with NI hardware for more information.

Regards,

Regards,

Michael Whitten
Senior RF Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,992 Views)