Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS v2.0 Logging in XNET

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a reason TDMS v1.0 is used in the LabVIEW 2012 NI-XNET examples?  TDMS v2.0 had some improvements in LabVIEW 2009.  Any reason not to take advantage of this?

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(8,173 Views)

Hi, I'm not familiar about NI-XNET but I do know TDMS. From the perspective of the functions, TDMS format 2.0 can do all that 1.0 can and have improvements both in performance and additional functions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(8,163 Views)

@deppSu wrote:

Hi, I'm not familiar about NI-XNET but I do know TDMS. From the perspective of the functions, TDMS format 2.0 can do all that 1.0 can and have improvements both in performance and additional functions.

Hence the reason for this post.  Smiley Wink

I would like to hear from NI or others regarding experience with TDMS v2.0 and NI-XNET.  I am assuming the examples were migrated from an older version (pre TDMS v2.0) and are out of date.  However, you know what happens if you assume...

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,149 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LVB

Hey LVB,

You are correct. We like to have our examples work out of the box with all of the versions of LabVIEW that are supported in that particular version of the driver. Until recently, the XNET driver supported LabVIEW versions back to 8.6. Since TDMS 2.0 wasn't shipped with LabVIEW until 2009, we left the examples using TDMS 1.0 files in their present state. Now that newer versions of the XNET driver do not extend support back farther than 2009, the examples will be updated for TDMS 2.0 in future releases of XNET. I filed that to CAR 398225, if you would like to track when the examples are updated. Thanks for bringing that to our attention, and have a great day!

John B.
Embedded Networks R&D
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,136 Views)

Hi,

I was not able to find example of NI-XNET TDMS file logging as mentioned in

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12278/en/

Also mentioned in NI-XNET chm: For examples that demonstrate use of TDMS with NI-XNET, refer to the NI-XNET Logging and Replay category in the NI Example Finder (for example, Hardware Input and Output : CAN : NI-XNET : Logging and Replay).

NI-XNET Hardware and Software Help
August 2012, 372841F-01

Could you please help me to get this example so I can incorporate it into our code ?

Thank you,

Radek Pozdnicek, Honeywell Aerospace, Czech Republic

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(7,388 Views)

Radek Pozdnicek,

Those examples get installed into LabVIEW when the NI-XNET driver is installed.  Have you installed this driver?

Wayne T. | Application Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(7,360 Views)

The note where to find example comes from LabwindowsCVI NI-XNET help file, I am only interested in C-Example. 

I only see the following examples installed:

CAN Frame Single Point Input
CAN Frame Single Point Output
CAN Frame Stream Input
CAN Frame Stream Output
CAN Input Output Same Port
CAN Signal Single Point Input
CAN Signal Single Point Output
CAN Signal Waveform Input
CAN Signal Waveform Output
CAN Signal XY Input
CAN Signal XY Output
Convert CAN Frames to-from Signals
XNET CAN Loopback
XNET CAN Synchronize with DAQmx

Thanks, Radek

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,348 Views)

Thanks for reply, I found it in Labview examples, however it is mentioned in XNET CVI help, is there corresponding example also in C/LabwindowsCVI ?I could try to incorporate labview module as dll into my code, but C implementation would be much preferred.

Thank you,

Radek Pozdnicek

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(7,320 Views)

Hi,

There should be more examples installed with LabWindows/CVI.  When I open the Example Finder in CVI and search for "xnet", I get 58 examples that match my search.  Do you only see the ones you listed above?

If so, I would suggest the following:

1) Make sure that in the installer, you selected to install "LabWindows/CVI Suport".  This will install the CVI examples.

2) Make sure that you restart your computer after installing the driver.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(7,313 Views)

Hi,

I reinstalled NI-XNET, I see the 58 examples but none unfortunatelly related to XNET TDMS logging.

Article below is referring to: Hardware Input and Output : CAN : NI-XNET : Logging and Replay

but this cannot be found in CVI examples, probably juts apply to Labview.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14427/en/

Basically I was looking for information how to encode XNET CAN frame strcture into channel(s),

so XNET compatible tools can read that TDMS file.

Didn't find that information in article above.

Thank you,
Radek

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(7,288 Views)