From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for CAN-FD protocol

Hello,

I was wondering if NI had intentions to support the new CAN-FD protocol? Is there any release schedule or intentions that can be shared regarding devices and driver/programming API updates for CAN-FD?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(9,828 Views)

Hi JaremyP,

There is no information regarding the possibility of support for CAN-FD. New products are usually released at NI Week, so NI Week updates are a good place to look for information about any new product releases. If this is a time critical issue, please create a service request so we can investigate possible solutions.

Best Regards,

Catherine B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(9,813 Views)

Very neat stuff.  So CAN-FD is basically the same as any normal CAN bus but with 2 changes.  First the data rate can change during the transmission.  This means that the payload section of the transmission can be up to 8 megabit/second.  The second change is the fact that the payload length can vary instead of 0-8 bytes, from 0-64 bytes, but not necessarily in one byte increments.

With these two changes it is obvious that this cannot be accomplished with just a software layer change and instead a new transceiver must be used.

Any official word from NI on if they are considering making a CAN-FD product?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(9,239 Views)

I just saw this today.  Looks like the c series module 9862 already supports CAN-FD, and looks like all the other PCI/PXI cards have been updated to show they support it too.  Was this just a software change and didn't need new hardware?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(9,220 Views)

Hi Hooovahh,

NI-XNET 14.0 (newly released) adds support for the CAN-FD protocol:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-xnet-14.0/4863/en/

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//embedded%20networks/NI-XNET/Driver/NI-XNET%2014.0/readme.htm

A list of the NI-XNET interfaces that support CAN-FD communication can be found in the following white paper:
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52288/en/

Catherine B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 5 of 9
(9,178 Views)

Hi..., I need support on CAN FD

I have already installed NI Xnet 16, but I didnt see any examples specifically related to CAN FD.

Any headsup for how can I use CAN FD in LabVIEW??

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,401 Views)

To switch from normal CAN to CAN FD simply involves setting a few database properties. The database cluster has a property called I/O Mode that can be set to CAN, CAN FD or CAN FD + BRS. This can be set in the database editor or in the XNET API.

Obviouly CAN FD will also need an additional input for the baudrate of the FD portion of the frame. Aside from this the XNET API works the same as CAN. Accordingly, any of the CAN examples will work with CAN FD by changing these properties.

Jeff L
National Instruments
Message 7 of 9
(6,391 Views)

Hi Jeff

Does it needs to change NI-CAN to NI-XNET firstly?

Best regards,

Brian Qin

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,296 Views)

@nexteer_LZ wrote:

Does it needs to change NI-CAN to NI-XNET firstly?

NI-CAN has never supported CAN-FD.  XNet has been the suggested tool for developing CAN applications for probably 15 years or so.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,288 Views)