Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting CAN FD baud rate gives error (using C samples)

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using the C samples for XNET "CAN FD Frame Stream Input" where I am setting the "nxPropSession_IntfCanFdBaudRate" valid values between 1000000 - 8000000. (as per http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372840k.pdf#page=983)

I get following error

NI-XNET Status: NI-XNET: (Hex 0x3FF63040) The CAN FD baud rate you supplied exceeds the capabilities the transceiver manufacturer specified. In our internal testing, we have found this baud rate to run, but bus errors may be detected or generated during communication. Refer to the NI-XNET CAN Hardware Overview section in the NI-XNET Hardware and Software Manual for more information.

I have a loop back setup with PCI card with 2 port.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,894 Views)
Solution
Accepted by mahajan24

That is a warning and not an error to inform you that you may be exceeding the capabilities of the physical hardware. While the CAN FD protocol supports very fast baud rates, none of the transcevier manufacturers have yet created transceviers that they will guarantee at all baud rates. Talking to them, the number one issue has been getting a low enough EMC to run in-vehicle. They tend to actually be able to keep up with the signalling rates.

Therefore, we allow you to use NI-XNET to transmit at a full range of baud rates, but give you the warning if you are exceeding the rates allowed by the manufacturer. For most use cases, this can be safetly ignored.

FYI, what baud rate are you trying to run at?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,866 Views)

I ignored this warning from "nxReadFrame" and "nxWriteFrame" and was able to transmit and receive data.

I am trying to set 1250000 as the FD baud rate. I made sure I used the baud rate specified in the help document.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,861 Views)

I am glad that you were successful.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,856 Views)