Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of install folder for NI-CAN 2.7.5/NI-XNET 1.8 fails due to process hold

We have infrastructure that allows us to auto download, unpack, install, and remove files for NI-CAN drivers. This feature fails on the new 2.7.5 NI-CAN driver though. The process we run is as follows:

1. Download NI-CAN 2.7.5.

2. Unzip to a temp folder.

3. Run driver install.

4. Delete the temp folder using rmdir command.

Prior to 2.7.5, this process worked fine. With 2.7.5 though, step 4 fails because a process called nierserver seems to hold onto the folder. If we kill nierserver via the Windows Task Manager, then the folder can be deleted without issue.

Please advise if the install folder is now being held onto by some part of the NI-CAN install process.

Note that this also applies to NI-XNET 1.8.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,775 Views)

A few questions:

What specific version of Windows are you running?

Does this same issue occur if you try to use this installation process on different machine?

The nierserver process is the NI error reporting service. Are any errors or warnings being thrown during the installation process?

When you run an installation, how long does the nierserver service hold on to the folder? Indefinintely? Does it still hold on to the folder if you run a manual install?

Regards,

Ryan K.
Product Manager, ATCA and BEEcube
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,756 Views)

Windows 7, both 32 and 64-bit.

We see this issue on multiple machines.

We do not see any errors being reported on the install.

I would need to test the latter cases.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,711 Views)

I spoke with a contact in R&D about this issue, and he let me know that there shouldn't be anything special about these newer editions of the drivers that would be causing the problem you're seeing. He also confirmed that if it is the nierserver process that's holding on to the folder, then it does mean that something's crashing/throwing an error in the install.

If you can, try testing out those cases I mentioned in my previous post. I'm particularly interested in seeing if this issue still occurs after a manual install.

You would also likely be able to resolve the issue by including a reboot command as part of your install script. If you configure the script to reboot the computer after the install (it's good practice to reboot the computer after installing/updating a driver anyway) and then delete the temporary directory, that should solve the issue.

Regards,

Ryan K.
Product Manager, ATCA and BEEcube
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,697 Views)