From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading OBDII data without Automotive Diagnostic​s Command Set.

Hello All,

Just wondering whether anyone has had any succes with reading OBDII data from a without using the Automotive Diagnostics Command Set add in for LabVIEW.

I mean, just using the standard CAN or XNET vi's?

I would like to read engine RPM and vehicle speed etc.

I have been able to read these PID's by downloading an evaluation version of the add-in, but I am slightly reserved to spending £900 for the software if it can be done otherwise.

Thanks

Rhys.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,599 Views)

Yes, this is possible.  

The easiest way to figure out how to do this is to take a CAN trace using another tool to see whats happening on the bus.  Combine with some basic info on Wikipedia, and you should be good.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,583 Views)

Hi Rhys,

I did a fair bit of reading from OBDII messages for a project a few years ago. We had in-vehicle logging using analog measurement, OBDII requests and responses, and eavesdropping on normal CAN traffic on a couple vehicles. We didn't have any packages to use besides my school's LV academic license, and had pretty good luck figuring out how to get going. If you're interested I could dig up some code and pass it along. Does your current VI have access to raw CANbus messages?

If you have some breathing room in your budget I would recommend purchasing the J1979 standard from SAE, although even with that in hand there are still some details to dig up.

Have fun over there,
Mark

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,512 Views)

hi markmakeeitso,

Could you share your program, I want to know how we can read OBDII data without any additional tool.
I really appreciate your help.

Reza

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,395 Views)