Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading ECU names from a CAN database(.dbc) file

Hi.......

Using CAN "Get Property" node we can read all the information of a Channel or Message from a .DBC file..... As I see, there is no way to get the (sender/receiver) ECU names from .DBC file. Is there really any way to read ECU names....?? If yes...pls tell me. It will really help me a lot. Bcoz we want to select the messages/channels from .DBC file with "ECU name" filter.

Thank you,

Ravinder
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(12,980 Views)

For this job you would need our ECU Measurement and Calibration Toolkit.

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/658/lang/en

You can download and test the toolkit for 30 days until you have to activate it.

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(12,967 Views)
Hi....DirkW,

Thank you very much....we don't have plans to buy this toolkit. We manage with Message filter.

Ravinder
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(12,956 Views)

Folks,

I have a similar enquiry, but from a different angle.  My organisation normally uses CANape & CANalyzer from Vector for all our ECU CAN / CCP communications, but a new rig supplier is developing the equivalent tools in LabView, using the NI CAN ECU Toolkit.   I have been asked by the supplier to specify the ECU NAME, but this is not defined or used in the Vector tools.  How is the ECU NAME used in the NI system?  What does this parameter do?  Can it be determined from a .db file, or from the ECU directly?

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(12,382 Views)

Speaking for XCP/CCP and using the NI ECU Measurement & Calibration toolkit, you are able to query ECU names out of the A2L database which is need for setting up the XCP/CCP communication with the ECU under test. If you select the ECU name you are able to create XCP/CCP tasks for data acquistion (DAQ) or memory read/write (characteristic read/write) operations on the connected ECU.

Use MC Get Names.VI to query ECU names within an A2L file.

The ECU Open function combines the opening of a selected ASAM MCD 2MC database file with the .A2L file extension and the selection of a stored CU name. The required parameters are the ASAM MCD 2MC database path and filename, and the dedicated CAN interface if you are using CCP r XCP with CAN. The CAN interface is used for communication with
the ECU. If you are using XCP with UDP or TCP, a port number and IP address or hostname must be defined in the A2L database. he function to open and select an ECU is MC ECU Open.vi in LabVIEW.

Roland

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(12,380 Views)

Ian:  I know you wrote your question almost a year ago but don't see where anyone answered all the aspects of it.  I have been working with J1939 for quite some time now and just came upon your thread here as the result of a query for some other information.  However, since I am here I will point you to the NAME information if you still need it.  SAE J1939-81 defines the ECU NAME and it is used in the Vector tools if you get the J1939 option.  If you still need information on this let me know and I will do what I can to clarify what it is used for.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(11,431 Views)

Bill,

Thanks for your response.  I have learned in the intervening time how we specify the ECU identity in our product, and it doesn't use the ECU NAME function. 

Regards,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(11,228 Views)