Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power for NI 9862 within cDAQ 9178

Hello,
I would like to know why an external power is required for the NI 9862 CAN module within the cDAQ chassis. This chassis is already supplied with an external power. I don't want to install a further power supply specially for the CAN device. Is there any possibility to connect the 9862 with the cDAQ power supply?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,375 Views)

You think that is bad?  Try having a LIN transceiver in the 9860.  Then you need to power the chassis with 9-30V, power the card with 9-30, and then power the transceiver with bus power which I can't remember the range of.

Anyway the answer given there (which I think applies here) is that the card needs to draw more than the specified maximum power that a single c-series card can draw.  So to power the card an external power needs to be provided.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,357 Views)

You won't need an external supply if connected to the OBDII connector on a vehicle. The vehicle bus will supply power.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,346 Views)

Okay, thank you for the answers. I think the solution for me will be to disconnecting the power suppy cable from the cDAQ and reconnect it to the cDAQ and the NI9862 in parallel. Only 6 of the 8 slots of the cDAQ are used, therefore the power consumption should be okay.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,336 Views)

Sounds like a plan! I found the NI9862 to only require about 10 ma.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,333 Views)