Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCMCIA CAN Type 1 vs. Type 2 cables

Good day everyone.

I have a PCMCIA CAN Series-2 card, however I have a Series-1 cable (Series-2 is lost somewhere in the lab).
While I am trying to set a "self-reception" property for the can card, I am getting errors.

Does anyone know for sure if having a Type-1 cable with a Series-2 card will create problems?
(NOTE: "self-reception, i.e. internal loopback mode is a feature for Series-2 cards only)

Thank you,
BorisMoto
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,640 Views)
Hello BorisMoto,

currently, the Series 2 PCMCIA-CAN cards come with the same transceiver cables as the Series 1 PCMCIA-CAN cards did. Thus, you shouldn't see any problems here. The cable houses the transceiver that does the pysical layer conversion, whereas the "self-reception" feature is part of the CAN controller, which is part of the PCMCIA-CAN card.
However, there are multiple types of cables for difefrent physical layers (high-speed and low-speed) and you need to make sure that you use the right one for your network.
Also, there are 'internally powered' and 'externally powered' versions of those cables. If you have one that says 'externally powered', you would need to provide power to the cable through either the DB-9 connector or the combicon connector on the side.

-B2k
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,633 Views)
Thank you B2K.

That is what I thought about the whole cable/card setup. I just wanted to make sure from somebody that knows this much better then I do (I am just learning this LabVIEW/CAN stuff). This means the errors I am guetting are coming for another reason (communications over the network are working fine with the cables I have)

BorisMoto
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,630 Views)