Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-trivial Database editing examples

Hi everyone,

I'm searching for examples of database editing and setting properties that are more complex than the ones that ship with LabWindows/CVI.  As far as I can tell, these don't even edit the database, they just manipulate aliases and parse through the different clusters/frames/signals, despite being titled "Managing Databases".  Anyone out there know where I can find this kind of info?  Thanks!

- Brandon

EDIT: I'm using the XNET API

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,444 Views)

Those examples do edit a database, the database just happens to be in memory instead of on disk.  To be honest whenever I need to actually edit a DBC file I usually resort to Vectors database editing software which runs without needing any particular hardware or software license.

But if you are strickly in the XNET world, import the DBC, then use the "Database Editor" to edit the XNET database.  This is saved as an XML but contains much of the same information as DBC.  You can also programatically import a DBC to use in XNET if you periodically get updates.

My conversion library does this in the examples.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-39793

Message 2 of 5
(5,440 Views)

Starting with NI-XNET 14.5, you can export the database in the dbc format.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-xnet-14.5/5184/en/

Message 3 of 5
(5,438 Views)

Oh neat-o sorry I haven't used 14.5 yet, and if I had I probably wouldn't have noticed this new feature.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,436 Views)

I'm looking at "Managing Local Databases.prj" and I don't see any calls to nxdbOpenDatabase(), nxdbFindObject(), or any of the Property manipulation functions (such as nxSetProperty).  From what I've read in the API manual, editing in memory still requires those calls to open the objects in question.  I just see the functions that get the names of the database objects for the purposes of UI manipulation and alias creation, which apparently doesn't require opening the database.  Am I missing something?  Wouldn't be the first time!

I need this in order to allow users to standardize their .dbc files before running the HIL simulation, so doing it by hand isn't really an option.

Thanks for the replies!

Another EDIT: I'm using NI XNET 14.5

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,419 Views)