Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-9862 and XNET issue

Hello all,

I'm a beginner with CAN bus and am trying to use an NI-9821 High speed CAN card to read signals from a vehicle CAN bus. 

For my trials, I am using the XNET example vi's to load a .dbc file and selecting a single channel to read. It seems to work OK(ish) except that when the VI is running my PC locks up every second or so (not getting keyboard or button response).

I'm using the CAN Signal Input Single Point.vi and the value being read is correct.

I've also tried several other examples such as Frame Input and Waveform Input with the same lock up issue.

Running the BUS Monitor program through NI-MAX also exhibits the same issue. Baud Rate is the only variable I have modified to the correct value. 

When the program is stopped, mouse and keyboard response go back to normal. 

Any ideas as to what could be causing my PC to lock up? 

Running the following:
XNet version 1.8 

Windows 8

Labview 2013

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,511 Views)

Hi David,

What do your CPU and memory usages look like when running the program compared to idle?

Have you tried this on another PC with Windows 8 or another Windows 7 machine... just to see if it's the OS causing the issue.

What baud rate have you set as well? I don't know if it would be possible to reduce this and see if processing less data helps.

Thanks

James P
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,498 Views)

Hi James, 

I have already tried it with a Windows 7 machine and the problem has gone. Seems like a Windows 8 issue? I'll use the Windows 7 machine as a workaround for now but would ideally like to use the Windows 8 machine.

CPU usage was around 8% when the example was run on the Windows 8 machine. Baud rate is 500kbps. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,495 Views)

Ah that's good to hear that you've got it working.

I'll try and reproduce this issue here if we have the hardware in the office and test it with Windows 8. If there's an issue I can reproduce, we can feed this back to the R&D team to investigate further.

I'll keep you posted on how this goes.

Thanks

James P
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,491 Views)

Unfortunately after re-installing LV and XNET (due to some other issues) I am now getting the same problem on my Windows 7 machine. Have you had any luck reproducing the issue? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,436 Views)

which DAQmx driver are you using? for using XNET on cDAQ you should install the last recent DAQmx driver as well

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,434 Views)

Daqmx 9.9 was just released: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-9.9/4707/en/

James P
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,432 Views)

I'm using DAQmx 9.7.5 and XNET 1.8. 

I will install DAQmx9 and let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,427 Views)

Unfortunately no change with DAQmx 9.9.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,419 Views)