Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9862 CAN

Hello

I have the NI 9862 CAN module and 9771 chassis so i can connect it to my notebook. The module is displayed in NI MAX that is ok. But i was wondering if i can make this demo  http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5411    work with my hardware .I would like to monitor the outputs of the sensors in the car. I do have automotive diagnostic command set.

Thak you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 44
(9,880 Views)

I think you may have problems because the 9862 module does not support the NI-CAN frame API which I think the Automotive Diagnostic Command set uses. I don't have this module so can't be sure, but we recently modified one of our rigs which inlcuded replacing USB-8473's with NI 9862's. Having quickly scanned the compatibility info I thought we'd be OK, but it turned out there was a small footnote which stated the 9862 didn't support the frame API. This caused me to have to re-write all the code dealing with the CAN interfaces, complicated by the fact that one of them used CANopen and the NI-XNET drivers don't support the CANopen library either. GRRRRRRR.

You may have to re-write all the CAN blocks to use the XNET dirver - a cheaper and quicker option might be to buy a USB-8473 interface which I'm pretty sure is supported (but please check!).

Regards

Paul

Regards

Paul

CLD running LabVIEW 2012 32 & 64 bit on Windows 7 64 bit OS.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 44
(9,855 Views)

XNET 1.7 meanwhile supports 9862 via the NICAN compatibilty layer. If you install the NICAN compatibily layer (which is a component of NIXNET Installer, but deselected by default) you should be able to use the Frame API even on 9862 with the Automotive Diagnostic Command Set.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 44
(9,853 Views)

Ok

So if I download this installer http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/3757/lang/cs . That NICAN compatibily layer sould be part of that installation? And if I can install it I will be able to make that OBD demo work? Sorry my questions can be a little dull I am inexperienced in that sort of things.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 44
(9,849 Views)

never tried this OBD Demo with 9862 but I assume it should work. If not, let us know

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 44
(9,847 Views)

keep in mind that you need last recent DAQmx installer as well

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 44
(9,844 Views)

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the 9862 is not supported by the compatibility library - this was my problem.

Paul

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 44
(9,835 Views)

see readme of XNET 1.7 for more details

here an extract

New NI-XNET 1.7 Features and Changes as Compared to NI-XNET 1.6

The NI-XNET 1.7 release adds the following features for PCI/PXI XNET interfaces and C Series modules used with CompactDAQ:

• Added support for NI 9861 and NI 9862 C Series modules in CompactDAQ chassis to the NI-CAN Compatibility Library for NI-XNET.
    Using the NI-CAN Compatibility Library for NI-XNET, those C Series modules will show up in NI MAX under NI-CAN Devices as PCI-8511 and PCI-8512.
  • Added support for XNET C Series modules in USB CompactDAQ chassis to PCI/PXI Real-Time targets.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 44
(9,832 Views)

Brill.

Too late for me though - I had to re-write all my VI's !!!

Paul

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 44
(9,826 Views)

The OBDII Monitor.exe (the demo) is not running. To get the demo running plaese do the following steps:

- Go to the folder of your extracted OBDII_Monitor_Demo

- Open the folder "Top-Level-Source"

- Start the "NI Car Monitor Narrow.vi" 

- LabView will come with a message box to browse to the "OBD Setup.vi"

- Browse to the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\vi.lib\Automotive Diagnostic Command Set

- open the "Diagnostic Trasnport.llb"

- select OBD Setup.vi

- Go to the Block Diagram of your "NI Car Monitor Narrow.vi"

- Select the OBD Setup.vi and do a "relink to SubVI"

- delete the broken wires

- The demo should run now

If you have a 9862 module. The modul is named as NI PCI-8512 (1port) below NI-CAN Devices in NI-MAX

Select this modul for the Demo. 

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 44
(9,821 Views)