Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIN communication C API example

Solved!
Go to solution

XNET example for LIN does not use "nxMode_FrameOutStream" or "nxMode_FrameINStream" mode for "nxCreateSession".

Does these mode work in LIN context? If it does can they be used to create session for same Interface?

I use ":memory:" as my database. 

Can I get a working example using ":memory:" as database with "nxMode_FrameOutStream" or "nxMode_FrameINStream" mode ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,569 Views)

Hello mahajan24,

What example are you looking at? In LabWindows/CVI, I opened the example titled "LIN Frame Stream In" and the example used nxMode_FrameInStream in the source file. 

Lauren

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,547 Views)

I see an example for "nxMode_FrameInStream" just wanted to confirm if "nxMode_FrameOutStream" would be on the same lines. As I didn't see example using "nxMode_FrameOutputStream".

Meanwhile, I tried "XNET LIN Loopback" example I get following error 

NI-XNET Status: NI-XNET:  (Hex 0xBFF63028) You are trying to start an interface

that is missing bus power for the transceiver. Some physical layers on NI-XNET

hardware are internally powered, but others require external power for the port

to operate. This error occurs when starting an interface on hardware that requires

external power when no power is detected. Solution: Supply proper voltage to your

transceiver. Refer to the NI-XNET Hardware Overview in the NI-XNET Hardware

and Software Manual for more information.

How do I resolve this issue (I have a PXI chassis with LIN and other cards)?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,522 Views)
Solution
Accepted by mahajan24

Hi mahajan24,

The XNET Hardware and Software Manual discusses using Frame Output Stream Mode with LIN, so it would be worth looking into the methods that they discuss. I have included a link to the page in the manual. LIN frame values transmit on the network based on when XNET Write is called. It's recommended to use XNET Write (Frame LIN), but you can also use XNET Write (Frame Raw) for more advanced applications.

Frame Output Stream Mode: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372840k.pdf#page=93

Shipping examples are more focused on getting you started, so you can try using Frame Output Stream Mode and modify the set up to work based on looking at how other output examples are set up. 

Also, in regards to the error you are seeing, this could be because your device needs external power. LIN typically requires bus power. What specific PXI chassis and LIN / other cards are you using?

Lauren

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,505 Views)

I'll review the link.

I have a setup of PXIe chassis "NI PXIe-1082" with LIN card "NI PXI-8516 (2- Port)". Also, I got the loop back setup working by adding external power.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,502 Views)

mahajan24,

I checked the Data Sheet for the PXI-8516 and it lists "Stream input and output modes for frames" as an available data transfer mode under the NI-XNET API, so it should be capable of that functionality, it's just a matter of configuring it.

Lauren

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,485 Views)