Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to detect whether the two lines of my can-card CAN high and CAN low are working correctly.

I´m using PCI-CAN/2 Series 2 (High Speed; 2 ports), LABView 7.0 and W2K. We are using 500000 Baud for the communication. We had the problem that one of the lines had a shortfail to GND/VCC and it was still working. Can I detect this error anyway?
At our customer the part was a fault part.
We have to detect it because it is part of or test-suite.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,128 Views)
Hi Emsti

The transceivers used on the low-speed (ISO 11898-3) CAN cards do have the capability to detect those kinds of failures. However, the low-speed physical layer is not compatible with the high-speed one (different termination, 125k max. baud rate, etc.), so that would not help.
The transceivers used on the high-speed (ISO 11898-2) CAN cards do not have those capabilities.

What you could do though, is to find a high-speed transceiver that can detect and report the mentioned bus failures and use that transceiver with a PCI-CAN/XS card (set the transceiver mode to ‘external’). The XS cards are capable of bypassing all three internal transceivers and controlling an external one.

-B2k
Message 2 of 2
(3,113 Views)