From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify two kvaser leaflight connected to PC?

I want to connect multiple Kvaser leaflights and read anything That can give me information about device Which is which. How can I do that

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,335 Views)

Is this a suggestion to improve LabVIEW?  This forum is for posting an idea on how to improve LabVIEW to have some feature or ability it doesn't currently have so other users can vote on the idea and have NI implement it.

If this is not an idea for others to vote on then you posted in the wrong section.  I suggest either LabVIEW subforum, or the Automotive subforum.  That being said the answer to your question is to use the provided drivers to enumerate the hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,323 Views)

Great well now that a moderator moved this here is what I suggest.  Go get the LabVIEW drivers from Kvaser.  They have a function called Get Channel Data Channel Name.  You provide an index, and it returns information about that hardware device.  I usually put this in a For Loop and read the first 20 devices, ignoring data that is returned with an error because the device doesn't exist.  The string returned will tell you information about the device, for instance the first two virtual devices will be returned as Virtual #0 (Channel 0) and Virtual #0 (Channel 1), what is returned is device specific so you'll have to see if there are any identifying information in this string like a serial number maybe.  Otherwise maybe you could plug them in one at a time, and that way will be able to know what device is what.

You might also get some help looking at the Kvaser Hardware Config which shows device information.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,301 Views)

Thank you very much, it was really helpful. 

Excuse me for posting in the wrong forum originally. It was my first time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,287 Views)

Seeing how this was moved to the Automotive forum, is it safe to say that these instruments are being controlled through CAN?  Check their CRO_ID, DTO_ID, and Slave Address for differences.  If they are the same, you will need some information regarding the DBC or A2L files associated with these instruments and look within those files for some unique variable like Serial_Number[16] which shown here would be a 16-byte array containing the serial numbers of the instruments.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,258 Views)

The Kvaser leaflight is the CAN device connected to the PC.  OP didn't go into details but I'm assuming they want to talk to a CAN device using this hardware in LabVIEW, instead of one of the NI products.  As I mentioned Kvaser has some LabVIEW drivers available.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,254 Views)