Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault Tolerance of "High-Speed" CAN

Solved!
Go to solution

There is a lot of information about "Low Speed CAN" being "Fault Tolerant."  In other words, whenever CAN-H or CAN-L is shorted to either Ground or +12v, the other non-shorted CAN line will continue working, albeit with timing issues and reduced noise immunity.  But there is an absolute dearth of information about the fault tolerance of HIGH-SPEED CAN (i.e., speeds greater than 125kb/s).  And if one wishes to contend that HIGH-SPEED is as Fault Tolerant as LOW-SPEED, why then isn't HIGH-SPEED CAN also deemed "Fault Tolerant"?

Can anyone point me to an ISO document or other official document that talks specifically about HIGH-SPEED CAN and what happens when either of the CAN lines is shorted to Ground or +12v?  I need an "official" source of information on this subject, not merely one's own personal experience or hear-say.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,058 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JDW1

ISO 11898-2:2003 should be a good source for an official answer

http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=33423

Message 2 of 4
(7,057 Views)

Thank you for the speedy solution!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,054 Views)

JDW1:  In case you haven't received the ISO document yet, the relevent section of the cited ISO 11898-2:2003 you want to look at is section 7.6 "Bus failure management", and specifically Table 12 - "Bus failure detection" and Figure 19 - "Possible failures of bus lines".

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,021 Views)