From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have Experience talking to a WAGO Ethernet Fieldbus copler using the Open modbus/TCP protocol and LabView ?

I have an Ethernet Fieldbus Copler of WAGO which supports the OpenModbus/TCP Protocoll, and I want to talk to it over LabView. Does anyone know how to do this or even has example VI's or Librarys ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,575 Views)
Typically, an OPC Server program is used as a middle-man between LabVIEW and Industrial Hardware, such as a WAGO module. You can use the DataSocket functions in LabVIEW to "talk" to the OPC Server, and the OPC Server program handles communication with the hardware. Their are many added benefits of this approach, including:

1) Ease-of-use : Implementing this, and writing the code from the LabVIEW side, tends to be quick and easy.

2) Open Industry Standard : Using OPC Servers to handle communication with industrial hardware is a common, open-standard approach in industry.

3) Network Connectivity : The OPC Server allows any computer on a computer network to read/write to the OPC Server, and therefore the hardware. This is very powerful - you could have mul
tiple LabVIEW programs on multiple different computers monitoring/controlling your hardware if desired - again, this is fairly easy to implement with OPC.

For more information on OPC, I would recommend the following KB as a must-read:

"Driver for communicating with PLCs, RTUs, and other Industrial Hardware":

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/13ee0a9e2c43f0db86256a6100722651?OpenDocument

As for the OPC Server, National Instruments sells a package called "IA OPC Servers" that does contain on OpenModbus/TCP Protocol OPC Server. The KB I reference above will contain more info.

Regards,
Greg
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,574 Views)
I have talked extensively to the Wago ethernet buss coupler and the 842 PFC with Labview. It is quite easy to set up basic drivers using the modbuss open protocol,
and the Labview tcp/ip drivers. If you would like a small program I have put together to talk to the PFC, let me know
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,575 Views)

Johnh,

I'm be interested in your small program. my e-mail is robertos@cyclotope.com.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,379 Views)