Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does LV Code developed using NI-CAN driver softare works with other NI modules using NI-XNET ??

Hello,

I have developed LV software using NI-CAN driver software for my PCI CAN/2 series card and the software works perfectly. I would like to know that can I use the same LV program without modifying it with other NI CAN module (i.e. NI 9862) which uses NI-XNET platform ????

thanks in advance.

regards,

swap

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,988 Views)

yes, you can use your old code. check out this white paper which explains how to migrate to NI-XNET

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/9717/en/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,986 Views)

Hi Gibson,

thanks for the reply.... the link is helpful.......

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,984 Views)

Hi Gibson,

i have one question. I read the document and after reading it I am bit confused. I want to know what compatibility layer actually do when I have to change my code say e.g. to  configure and open the interface I have to use new NI XNET API instead of old NI CAN API's (same for reading CAN data also).

So my question is if I have to change my code according to NI XNET API what is the role of compatibilty layer?

This question might sound bit wierd but I am confused 

regards,

swap

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,978 Views)

For existing NI-CAN applications to work, both NI-XNET and NI-CAN drivers must be installed. The NI-XNET installation package contains all of the necessary components for the compatibility library to function. The compatibility library translates / maps a NI-CAN function call into the equivalent NI-XNET call or property.

While the NI-XNET compatibility library for NI-CAN (NI-XCL) strives to ensure basic functionality, you cannot always completely map the library from NI-CAN to NI-XNET because of either hardware-specific features or core differences in the NI-XNET platform.

In general we do expect that you can run you NI-.CAN code as is on NI-XNET hardware.  Just  some functions may be incompatible or need workarounds. For a complete table, see the NI-CAN Hardware and Software Manual for Version 2.7 or later. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,973 Views)