Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can LabVIEW acess the ethernet card MAC adress by any dll ?

I've seen other postings telling that it is possible to acess the MAC adress using IPCONFIG/all by DOS command and using system exec. I also saw that it is possible (under windows 2000) change this number under configuration. I tried and it really changes ! I was wondering if it is possbile to use any windows dll to acess this MAC Adress ?
RKO
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,986 Views)
What do you mean that it reallly changes?

I took a quick look and I recommend looking on google for help finding a dll that can give you the mac address. The reason I do not post a link here is that none were outstanding, most required special drivers, and what appeals to you will depend on your skill set.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,985 Views)
I mean that we can change the MAC adress. This adress is supose to be unique (from the network card). But under windows, we can configure this adress as desired and the command ipconfig /all will show the configured adress.
RKO
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,985 Views)
Hi!

Did someone find a suitable answer to above query?
I have a similar issue.

We want to deliver LabVIEW code which will run only on licensed machines.
One idea is to build in the MAC address of these machines into my code and check everytime the software is run. Question is how do I retrieve the MAC address of the ethernet card at run time in my LV exe?

Is there another way to achieve a node locked licensing? Some people use HDD serial number ....

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

- Gurdas
Gurdas Sandhu, Ph.D.
ORISE Research Fellow at US EPA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,950 Views)
Hi Gurdas,

I found a couple example programs that might help you out.

I have attached a GetMacAddress.vi that uses a CIN to make calls to Windows API to return the MAC address of the computer.

The second example Get_Remote_MAC_Address.vi will retrieve the MAC address of a remote computer on your local subnet. It uses calls to the System Exec VI which calls the Windows utilities "ping" and "arp" which return this information. It then parses the MAC address and returns it. Unfortunately the "arp" command does not properly return the MAC address when fed the IP address of the computer that runs it, so if you feed the VI the IP address of the computer that is executing the VI, it will attempt to use "ipconfig" to get the local computer's MAC address.

Note that because these commands are Windows-specific, these examples will work only with Windows operating systems.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Kileen
Message 5 of 5
(5,933 Views)