From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN cabling request

Hello,

I’m looking at setting up a CAN multi-node network and I was hoping NI would be able to help me out with your products.
I have around 4 nodes with 9 pin DSUB connectors. I would like to know:

1) Which cable to use as the BUS and how I would go about connecting nodes to the bus.
2) What are the lengths of the wires that you provide?
3) Can I use CAN CableY or a T-adapter to Tap into the Bus to add an extra Node?
4) Can I request for gender change of the connectors on the CAN-cable-0 or the Can-Cable-y ?

Thank you,
Vivek Bhaskar
University of Illinois at Chicago
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,271 Views)
Hello Vivek Bhaskar,

National Instruments does not sell CAN or DeviceNet cables. You would need to get cables from a different source (e.g. search www.belden.com for the term 'DeviceNet' or build your own cables).

For your other question:
(3) Yes, the CAN bus there are 'T's allowed however, the length of the 'T' (the stub length) is limited and depends on the baud rate.
"ISO 11898 specifies 40 m total cable length with a maximum stub length of 0.3 m for a bit rate of 1 Mb/s. The ISO 11898 specification says that significantly longer cable lengths may be allowed at lower bit rates, but each node should be analyzed for signal integrity problems." (NI-CAN Hardware and Software Manual, May 2004 Edition)

You can probably double the stub length when you cut the baud rate in half on a properly terminated network. However, that allows only for 2.4m at a bit rate of 125 kb/s and I would avoid planning for so long stub lengths in general.

If someone knows a good source for CAN cables, please post it here!

-B2k
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,265 Views)