Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN FRAME DROPOUTS

I am transmitting a sine wave through a 9862 CAN module inserted in a cDAQ-9132 chassis and receiving that same signal with a second cDAQ-9132 chassis and 9862 CAN module with a bus bandwidth of 1 Meg. I am experiencing dropouts in the received signal. I am transmitting utilizing the CAN FRAME Stream mode. What would I need to do to eliminate the dropouts? Files depicting the transmitted and received signal attached. I am transmitting a total of 5 frames. The sinewaves depicted in the attached files are utilizing 2 of 6 bytes of CAN Frame 1. The remaining 4 frames are transmitting 8 bytes each. Thank You!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,853 Views)

You say you are transmitting in stream mode. How are you receiving? How are you getting your X-Axis (time)?

Message 2 of 6
(3,817 Views)

@GPIB_Guru wrote:

You say you are transmitting in stream mode. How are you receiving? How are you getting your X-Axis (time)?

I'm utilizing the CAN Frame Input Stream.vi example.

The X-axis time is regulated by a "Wait Until Next ms Multiple" LabVIEW function.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,810 Views)

My app is also transmitting several other static frames with at least one other loop running. I will write an app that addresses only the sine wave output and no other functionality to experiment.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,806 Views)

I don't have any software installed, so I cannot look up that example, but does it have any error handling? Any timeouts on the read? Is it possible that you are reading with a 0 timeout and it is returning no frames? Then, you are interpreting this as data incorrectly?

Message 5 of 6
(3,803 Views)

Thanks! I'll have to check. Right now I've been able to eliminate the dropouts by eliminating all other code except for the analog in to CAN out and adjusting the signal frequency. I still need to experiment more to determine limits.

@GPIB_Guru wrote:

I don't have any software installed, so I cannot look up that example, but does it have any error handling? Any timeouts on the read? Is it possible that you are reading with a 0 timeout and it is returning no frames? Then, you are interpreting this as data incorrectly?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,795 Views)